Egg question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jealous Gypsy, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Jealous Gypsy

Jealous Gypsy Songster

Jul 13, 2019
    I have 13 laying hens, i got in May they have not yet layed any eggs. 2 ducks that are laying. I have 7 guineas gotten the end of may, & some turkeys. My neighbor got his guineas & chickens the same time as me same age. He says his chickens, ducks & guineas are laying. All of them at 5 months. Only my ducks are. I am building laying boxes, but he says that his just lays eggs in straw without nesting boxes. Should I be concerned about my flock not laying yet?

Callender Girl and HuffleClaw like this.
  2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Are your chickens the same breed as the neighbors?
    Do you have the same amount of space too? What are you feeding?

3. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Wrangling Ducks

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama (Southern USA)
    Not a concern, maybe your girls just need a little more time. Average starting point for laying is usually around 6 months. :)

4. Jealous Gypsy

Jealous Gypsy Songster

Jul 13, 2019
    No. His are astralorps, mine are a variety, barred rocks, wyndotte, ee, americaunas etc. Coop is 16 x12. Im building an addition with nesting boxes too 8 by something its an old camper. But even his guineas are laying which are the same breed. I am feeding them nutreena layer pellets

HuffleClaw likes this.
  5. Jealous Gypsy

Jealous Gypsy Songster

Jul 13, 2019
    Maybe . Hope so

HuffleClaw likes this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I wouldn't be feeding layer to birds that are not layers. They don't need the extra calcium it's hard on kidneys. I feed a Grower finisher feed for their entire life. I supply Oyster shell once a week in a separate dish.

aart and HuffleClaw like this.
  7. Jealous Gypsy

Jealous Gypsy Songster

Jul 13, 2019
    thank you.

chickens really likes this.
  8. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    Like human kids, chickens mature at different rates.

Among my eight spring pullets, only two have started laying. Althea, one of three Buckeyes purchased on the same day from the same place, is the only one of that trio who has produced eggs. The others -- a Welsummerm a Speckled Sussex and Easter Eggers -- have laid nothing, and the only producer besides Althea is a Midnight Majesty Maran.

Everybody lives in the same coop, has the same food, the same outdoor access, the same light exposure. I won't be surprised, as the days get shorter, if all the rest decide to postpone production until spring. A bit frustrating? Yes, but Nature does as she does.

9. Jealous Gypsy

Jealous Gypsy Songster

Jul 13, 2019
    Thats ok ill wait till spring as long as they are healthy

chickens really likes this.
  10. Jealous Gypsy

Jealous Gypsy Songster

Jul 13, 2019
    Maybe i just had a case of the grasss is greener

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: