Egg question

Jealous Gypsy

Songster
Jul 13, 2019
Northern Maine
I have 13 laying hens, i got in May they have not yet layed any eggs. 2 ducks that are laying. I have 7 guineas gotten the end of may, & some turkeys. My neighbor got his guineas & chickens the same time as me same age. He says his chickens, ducks & guineas are laying. All of them at 5 months. Only my ducks are. I am building laying boxes, but he says that his just lays eggs in straw without nesting boxes. Should I be concerned about my flock not laying yet?

No. His are astralorps, mine are a variety, barred rocks, wyndotte, ee, americaunas etc. Coop is 16 x12. Im building an addition with nesting boxes too 8 by something its an old camper. But even his guineas are laying which are the same breed. I am feeding them nutreena layer pellets

Like human kids, chickens mature at different rates.

Among my eight spring pullets, only two have started laying. Althea, one of three Buckeyes purchased on the same day from the same place, is the only one of that trio who has produced eggs. The others -- a Welsummerm a Speckled Sussex and Easter Eggers -- have laid nothing, and the only producer besides Althea is a Midnight Majesty Maran.

Everybody lives in the same coop, has the same food, the same outdoor access, the same light exposure. I won't be surprised, as the days get shorter, if all the rest decide to postpone production until spring. A bit frustrating? Yes, but Nature does as she does.

Like human kids, chickens mature at different rates.

Among my eight spring pullets, only two have started laying. Althea, one of three Buckeyes purchased on the same day from the same place, is the only one of that trio who has produced eggs. The others -- a Welsummerm a Speckled Sussex and Easter Eggers -- have laid nothing, and the only producer besides Althea is a Midnight Majesty Maran.

Everybody lives in the same coop, has the same food, the same outdoor access, the same light exposure. I won't be surprised, as the days get shorter, if all the rest decide to postpone production until spring. A bit frustrating? Yes, but Nature does as she does.
Thats ok ill wait till spring as long as they are healthy

Back
Top Bottom