Egg Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by harleyjo, Jun 15, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Ok... I am sure this is a stupid question, lol. I am just getting started in this wonderful world of chickens. We have 13 pullets right now. I think they should be laying by fall. We don't have a rooster yet but at some point may get one. When we do I would assume some of the eggs would be fertile but many of them we would have no intention of hatching. Are fertile eggs ok to eat? If they go in the refridgerator after they are gotten as long as they don't get warmed up nothing will develop right? And if it is ok to eat them can I sell them and will the people who buy them be able to tell they have been fertilized? Thanks everyone.

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Quote:Yes
    Quote:Correct
    Quote:It is ok to sell them, and the only way they will know if they are fertile, is if they know what to look for. Most people don't.

3. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    What do you look for? I don't even know.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Ms.FuzzyButts :

Quote:Yes
    Quote:Correct
    Quote:It is ok to sell them, and the only way they will know if they are fertile, is if they know what to look for. Most people don't.

Ditto!

You can't tell the difference taste wise. All my eggs are fertile, and we eat them....yummy!​

5. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Quote:I don't have a rooster, so I *think* it's something called a "bullseye". But, if you're REALLY Curious & want to know, you can go over and haunt the "Incubating and Hatching Eggs" forum. Those people know ALL (you'd ever want to know) about fertile eggs and they're always posting stuff about it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by