egg questions

thequietman

Hatching
5 Years
May 23, 2014
Hello,

I have a batch of coturnix that are just now hitting 8 weeks old. I got the eggs from a local guy who had a range of different breeds all housed together. I have a mix of Pharoah or Jumbo Brown (don't really have anything to compare them to and I haven't weighed them), A&M (white), Tuxedo, and Golden (my wife and daughters favorite coloration). They started laying around 6 weeks (though not all started that early). I have run into a couple questions. Nothing all that important, but I'm curious.

1) Of the first 50 or so eggs, I had 8-10 that were double yolks. They were very obviously larger than the others. In the next 30 or so, there were fewer, but in the last couple days I got some more large eggs that I'm guessing will be double too (haven't cracked them yet). Are double yolks that common or did I get some strange quail?

2) This had no real importance other than curiosity, but the egg shells seem to fall in two categories. If they were paint, I would describe them as "high gloss" and "flat". Any idea why some end up shiny and others not? (its not just when they are freshly laid, the shiny vs flat is permanent even after days in the refrigerator).

Thanks!

That's normal, and higher protein will make bigger eggs and increase the chance of double yolks. Also up's the chance of prolapse.
if you are feeding them high protein, as soon as they start laying, switch to 24 percent protein laying mix. That info came from Quail Jailer when we were discussing feed.
Neither of us are worried about the roos getting the extra calcium, cause he does and I plan to turn over our breeders after a year.

Double yolks, small eggs, eggs with no shell, and imperfections in the shell quality is common in new layers. It is never advised to feed young layers very high protein feeds. Too much protein causes them to release too many yolks too fast, thus causing double yolkers. It also causes the eggs to be very large and cause the hen prolapse, (when they push the uterus out with the egg) is very common in young layer forced to lay too early and hard. So keep the protein in the low 20's until they get their egg laying machines in gear. As the hens grow and mature, they will lay more consistently, single yolks and a smoother shell.

Make sure all layers have access to crushed oyster shell at all times.

I, myself, am feeding a 30 percent protein feed until the first lay, then switching to the laying feed that is 24, but contains more calcium.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I couldn't get 30% feed locally (and tractor supply seems to have misplaced my special order). They have been on 24% since the start. I'll keep an eye on them and see if it continues.

Back
Top Bottom