Egg Selling Laws in Jersey

jessiemarie

Hatching
8 Years
May 14, 2011
One of my friends has been selling eggs for years, just to her friends of course. I am interested in selling Eggs at my Stand, but i have been told that getting the necessary permits and whatnot is just an absolutely ridiculous process. I, on the otherhand could find no valuable info on the web relating to these rules in Jersey...My Granfather says just take them out there and sell them because when he was a boy...
old.gif

I don't know about selling eggs, but you might try calling the county ag dept. I called mine to find out if we could even have chickens (I have less than 5 acres so technically we don't qualify for "right to farm" so I am not supposed to have any "livestock"). She said, get the chickens and just don't piss off your neighbors. Always good advice, I suppose. Bump...

The county office right...I am Extremely active in 4-H and They are switching around some of the people in the office and honestly the people who id have to ask probably have no clue sadly... Although I will ask the woman in charge now nextime i see her. Thanks!

Quote:
As a rule I don't want to involve the government in anything I am doing, but the seller asked about the laws. There are only a handful of ways to find out about those. Read the full ordinance, zoning, and buisness laws for your state, county, and township/city (or have a lawyer do it for you because they are often vague and/or conflicted) or ask the person who is supposed to be in charge of it. That said, I don't think I would say "Hi, I am so and so from #_ Such and thus street and I have legal/illegal chickens and want to sell the eggs and need to know if I can do it and how to go about it...".

For instance, we had to file a building permit to build our shed and an additional "shed" aka chicken coop. While there the zoning enforcer said, now technically you have less than 5 acres so are not covered under "right to farm" unless you bring in over 50000 in farm products (the only way to get a right to farm for under 5 acres in NJ), but everyone around here has chickens (even I do, she said), so just keep it under the radar. We never even mentioned chickens... I guess everyone really does have some kind of livestock around here and when a permit for 2 sheds comes in they just throw it out there.

I wanted to take my eggs to a health food market in town. I contacted them about selling my free range eggs for me and here is the response:

"In order to sell a home-based product at my store, the provider (you) must have a selling permit from the state. You must apply with the New Jersey Department of Commerce for a business license and a tax i.d. Obtaining this license is fairly difficult and requires an in-depth inspection of the facilities where the food comes from. You should be able to provide proof of your license to us which then allows me to sell the product with the knowledge that the products are held to acceptable levels of cleanliness and food safety.

If you already have this permit, please contact me as we would really be interested in selling the eggs. The ones we offer are not local (although they are pastured) and part of our mission statement is to support local business. I look forward to hearing from you"

What is happening to this world!

How can it be a crime to sell a few chicken eggs? Its all about money. Bet you have to pay money to various people in the process of getting the permit.

Cant you just 'give them away' for a 'minimum voluntary donation'.

I can understand shops and supermarkets having to source eggs from prober businesses, but surely one person selling a few eggs privately does not need all that paperwork.

One of my friends has been selling eggs for years, just to her friends of course. I am interested in selling Eggs at my Stand, but i have been told that getting the necessary permits and whatnot is just an absolutely ridiculous process. I, on the otherhand could find no valuable info on the web relating to these rules in Jersey...My Granfather says just take them out there and sell them because when he was a boy...
old.gif
My understanding is that you have to sell them direct to the customer or on a delivery routes to customers limited to 30 dozen per customer. Here is a link that may help.

https://www.nj.gov/agriculture/divisions/md/pdf/farmmarketguidelines.pdf

Back
Top Bottom