egg selling liability?

that was my thought too right now i am getting between 10-14 eggs a day and have 25 full grown hens and a bunch of up and coming pullets so im not a BIG guy just a little chicken lady :>

I sell mine to anyone and every one also and have for over 20 years mostly to ppl that are known as the flock has increased and sales are at an all time high i do worry some but not a lot most ppl understand that farm eggs are just that farm eggs. I use recyled cartons and the past few weeks i made a lable on the pc to stick on the cartons (covers up the company name on the carton) and i mark out the grade of the egg The lable has farm fresh eggs 1 dozen ungraded. Will try to post a pic tonight. I stared this because i had someone wanting to hatch eggs and was picking up a large number 2 and a half weeks later she told us that they hatched very well and wanted 50 dozen
gig.gif
did anyone else catch that.

The easiest thing to do might be to just put the "safe handling" label on your cartons. That at least informs the consumer that eggs may carry bacteria and it's up to buyer to handle the eggs correctly to avoid getting sick -- not up to the seller.

EAGLE, WROTE;
was picking up a large number 2 and a half weeks later she told us that they hatched very well and wanted 50 dozen did anyone else catch that.

What?
idunno.gif

I would ask your homeowner's insurance agent what they think. If it's small enough to be considered a hobby, you might be covered, though I know that most homeowner's policies do NOT cover any home business activity or property. Your agent might be able to write something small and cheap, just for liability.

Quote:
We are moving to PA and this was one of the first things I checked. In Pa as long as your don't have more than 3400 layers, sell the eggs w/in 5 days of lay, label them with the date of lay, mark the carton with "eggs" and the "safe handling" warning and "keep refrigerated" then it's "buyer beware". And I don't have to be liscensed or permitted.

Quote:
If you are as stupid as the Fast food joint in question I hope you get sued.

Do some research on it it's amazing how badly they treated the woman. And how many times they were informed by patrons and how many times they were told point plank by corporate the coffee was a burn hazard.

Initially all she asked for was coverage of medical expenses and wages for her daughter who had to stay home to care for her. They said no... then the lawyers got involved......

Again .. WOW the times we live in......

Quote:
it takes 21 days at least to hatch that is 3 weeks she was doing a resale. to which i really did not care i got my money she got her's no need to tell stories tho.

I'm an insurance adjuster so maybe I can shed some light on this, bearing in mind that policies differ from company to company and state to state ...

Typically the liability portion of your homeowners insurance (or tenants insurance if you're a renter) does not cover claims arising out of your business or farming activities. That's because you should have a separate commercial policy to cover those activities (your homeowners insurance isn't designed for it). That being said, most insurers will be happy to add a hobby farm endorsement to your policy for a very small fee if you just have a small operation. Others may say that such small-scale egg production doesn't count as a farming activity in the first place and you may already be covered for it.

The best thing to do is talk to your insurance broker where you buy your insurance and they'll either make a note on your file so everyone knows you're covered for your chicken activities, or charge you a small fee for a special endorsement (or, if your current carrier gets the heebie-jeebies over chickens, they can change you to an insurance company that will accomodate you). Either way you can go home and get a good night's sleep.

Quote:
If you are as stupid as the Fast food joint in question I hope you get sued.

Do some research on it it's amazing how badly they treated the woman. And how many times they were informed by patrons and how many times they were told point plank by corporate the coffee was a burn hazard.

Initially all she asked for was coverage of medical expenses and wages for her daughter who had to stay home to care for her. They said no... then the lawyers got involved......

Again .. WOW the times we live in......

Clay,
Maybe you should sit down and read your paper some more.

The point I was making was people will sue over anything and everything, I was using that case as an example only, no research is needed but it seemes you are well versed in the case.

Back
Top Bottom