egg selling liability?

kimt816

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 13, 2008
kernersville, nc
hi i was wondering if anyone that sells eggs has liability insurance?? my hubby is scared that if someone gets sick they will try to sue us over the eggs?? I collect daily hand wash and store in fridge immediately and i havent had any problems so far but just wondering what everyone else does ??

Quote:
If you are as stupid as the Fast food joint in question I hope you get sued.

Do some research on it it's amazing how badly they treated the woman. And how many times they were informed by patrons and how many times they were told point plank by corporate the coffee was a burn hazard.

Initially all she asked for was coverage of medical expenses and wages for her daughter who had to stay home to care for her. They said no... then the lawyers got involved......

Again .. WOW the times we live in......

I'm an insurance adjuster so maybe I can shed some light on this, bearing in mind that policies differ from company to company and state to state ...

Typically the liability portion of your homeowners insurance (or tenants insurance if you're a renter) does not cover claims arising out of your business or farming activities. That's because you should have a separate commercial policy to cover those activities (your homeowners insurance isn't designed for it). That being said, most insurers will be happy to add a hobby farm endorsement to your policy for a very small fee if you just have a small operation. Others may say that such small-scale egg production doesn't count as a farming activity in the first place and you may already be covered for it.

The best thing to do is talk to your insurance broker where you buy your insurance and they'll either make a note on your file so everyone knows you're covered for your chicken activities, or charge you a small fee for a special endorsement (or, if your current carrier gets the heebie-jeebies over chickens, they can change you to an insurance company that will accomodate you). Either way you can go home and get a good night's sleep.

Quote:
Isn't that the truth.

I think it may be a good idea to look into local rules and regulations regarding the sale of eggs. Usually the rules are different depending on what area you live in....if there are any at all.

I know around here to do it 'by the books' you have to purchase a quota license per hen to sell eggs and then of course you get into all the red tape of gov. regulations etc. etc. If you do it without buying a quota you are not allowed to advertise, only use word of mouth because if you advertise they then consider you a business and can ask about your quota etc.

Anyway, that was slightly off topic but inquiring into insurance can snowball into a lot more information and you may realize there's a whole lot of rules and regulations in order to qualify for the insurance in the first place. Also what do you do if someone blames you, and your eggs had nothing to do with their sickness? Blah....makes my head hurt the way people overreact sometimes.

I sell my extra eggs at work BTW.

UC

It could happen, the getting sued part, remember the person that sued the fast food place because the coffee was to hot? The only way that I know of is to form a limited liability corporation. With an LLC the business is liable (and the owner I think-not sure) but they can't go after your personel assets. I'm sure the insurance would be thru the roof, plus like UC wrote then you have all kinds of people looking into your operation. We sell our eggs mostly to friends and co-workers. At least you know the people and they know you so if they get sick or worse you might hear about it first and can get rid of them before the cops show up.
smile.png
....just a thought.

Steve in NC

yeah i was told by my hubby about a LLC but the cost is outrageous!! 600-700 $ that is why i wanted to see what everyone else does thanks for the info

place a disclaimer on the carton. cant be held responsible for misshandling after eggs leave my hand. if you store or cook improperly its your fault. and people kill me with the suing over a fly landing on thier hand!!! people (shakes head)

Back
Top Bottom