Egg selling

Nov 22, 2019
NC
Hi i’m looking for some opinions I sell all my eggs I collect (minimum of 20 doz a week) So I make some decent money from it it helps me buy grit or whatever else’s I might need..but the problem is she’s always talks down to me like I don’t know what I am doing, it doesn’t bother me that bad but I dread everytime she comes to pick up eggs because her tone of voice is just rude and she’s picky about which eggs I give her so she sorts through all of them. Would you keep selling to her a deal with the rude comments or take the loss? I enjoy the money it’s allowed me to buy some geese guineas and now quail but I feel like it’s not worth it.

You do what makes you more comfortable. Your feelings matter more than anyone else's.
I made great money when I started selling eggs at age 17, but some lady was buying my eggs and reselling them over a dollar more and making a profit. So I just quit selling to her, nothing bad happened after that.
Try expanding your advertising, try Facebook or Instagram. Put up flyers in the next town over. You'll make up for the loss 😊 Good luck in whatever you choose to do! There is no wrong answer, make yourself happy. ❤

I would not allow her to sort through all of your eggs. I always sort through my eggs myself prior to selling them, then package them and give the customer exactly how many they have requested, they never know how many more I do or don't have and they don't get to look at them. You can try explaining to her that you already sorted them so that she is getting a variety of sizes and color and eggs free from defects (or whatever it is that you think she is looking for when she sorts through them herself) and that the other eggs are reserved for other customers so she cannot see/have them. She might be ok with this and it might help your problem, she might be upset with this and decide she doesn't want to buy from you anymore if this is your new policy, and this also solves your problem. I think you should be able to find some new customers to make up for it. Here people also advertise their eggs on craigslist in the farm and garden section, we also have a bulletin board at the feed store and at the grocery store that many community members see. I think if you work on this now you should be able to have it figured out by the time production really ramps up this summer. Good luck. I hope you can find customers that appreciate your hard work.

Some info is unclear here. Is this one person buying all your eggs or just a dozen every once in a while?
Is this one person a random customer or someone you have a relationship to? (Friend, family.)

If they're buying just the occasional dozen, find yourself a new person. It can't be that hard. If they're buying all your eggs consider telling them you'll have a decreased supply for a while. You can make something up if they're not close to you, like about how a family member wants them. Start slowly bringing in other clients until you're more secure and can then otherwise change the rules how you see fit. Then you can make your interactions with her shorter and cleaner, give dozens you have selected, and not let her pick through them.

Personally, when I sell eggs they come to my door, get the eggs I packaged. They don't get to come in and they don't see my other eggs or pick through them. Even if I have multiple dozens, I let them know those are slated for other clients or myself and they can't go through them.
The nice thing about buying from a farm is you get to know your farmer and the chickens and the quality of the eggs they sell. But the nice thing about being a farmer is you get to decide how people treat you, so people better be, at least, polite. I don't sell to people who are jerks.

Yeah, that’s was my question also. Are 20doz eggs a week going to that one lady? If they are and you need the money, you may want to find some other customers before you cut her off. Can I ask how much you are charging for a dozen?

That's not very good. I would either stop selling to her or make a rule that the customer can't sort through the eggs. It doesn't matter how close you are to the person/if you know them - DON'T lie. That's not right.

Back
Top Bottom