egg selling

Go on Craigslist, swing by your local Farmer's Markets, etc. See what your local market is.

I'm in an economically depressed area of the country - and am currently giving mine away to people who need them FAR more than I. In the process of getting myself licensed with the State ($110/yr), and am already zoned for it - so at this point, I'm just exploring my potential customer base - but my break even will be between $2 and $2.50 / dozen (no cartons - FL forbids me from selling in cartons, which actually keeps my costs down), so that's where I'll be pricing. There are no close by high income locations who would pay a premium for free range, and I'm not feeding organics, or my break even would go WAY up.

Tuesday, the State is doing a bi-annual testing assay to get me NPIP certified, so I can legally sell chicks and hatching eggs as well. I'll use that to control flock size as needed and further offset feed costs.

tl;dr - price depends on location, affluence of neighborhood/customer base, and any marketable premiums the buyers will bear.

I started, and have stayed, at $3/dozen. The going rate here for fresh eggs was between $3-$5. I definitely don't make money, but it sure helps. I agree with Aart, easier to go down then up. I doubt you'll need to, though. Especially in these times.

I used to give 50cents back if they brought the carton back, but I don't anymore. It's amazing what some people will try and give back! Covered in yolk/white/dirt/dog hair etc :rolleyes: It's not worth it to me and I've had zero problem selling eggs. $3 is cheap, in my opinion.

Weird. I wonder if that's common? I've never heard of such a thing!
No idea - I get the impression that many do so under the table, unlicensed, and have never bothered to actually read the relevant statutes.

In addition to having to sell mine bulk or from flats, I also have to prominently post a sign, at least 7" x 7" (they don't specify color, font, or point size) "These eggs have not been graded as to quality and weight." (Italics optional)

Oh, and I need to set up a three compartment sink to Wash, Rinse, Sanitize (with USDA approved products). Oddly, the state doesn't define "sink" anywhere, either, so I have some "flexibility" in how I meet that requirement.

Even in the 1950s, there were lots of variations between States, its only gotten worse with time

We have twelve laying hens and my kids and I don't eat eggs (!?), but also don't sell them.

We are a part of a mutual aid society, so we trade our eggs and citrus fruit for whatever local people are willing to give (so far, masks, skincare, homemade date vodka, egg cartons...) or just donate extras. To build up a customer base, you might try bartering your eggs for goods/services until you have enough people who will be willing to pay $2.50+++

Our local grocery store sells organic eggs for $4, so I think $2.50 is a great starting price until you get a customer base that knows your eggs are higher quality than commercial ones.

Good luck!

The state may define it in other ag codes, or consider a sink to be self evident.
I've read the whole of the Code, and keyword searched as well. "Three Compartment Sink" is a "term of art", which has a recognized definition in the industry quite apart from the dictionary offering for individual words.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek, sorry it did not convey well in print - but if I installed drains with p-traps in three plastic popcorn bowls, and had a source of hot and cold running water to fill them, it would meet the state's rules. More likely I'll recycle the top third of some food grade plastic containers, so I can use the existing threading, and don't need to source flanges.

Back
Top Bottom