Egg Shape Changes? Could I have a new layer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aoxa, Dec 20, 2011.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I have 16 hens. I have two going through a molt, one that was broody and hasn't started laying again (or has she?). I am wondering if a change in egg shape is possible, or if I have a new layer altogether.

Normally my McDonalds lays a very round tiny white egg. This egg I found today is long and oval. It is a little less white than I remember.

So what has been your experience? Have you seen a hen lay two different egg shapes altogether? This is the first time I would have had a different shaped egg from McDonalds if it is possible. [​IMG]

2. Silkiesandco

Silkiesandco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Canada eh?
    Personally, i would guess a new layer. The only time i have seen a different shaped egg from the same hen is a double yolker. I bet its possible. Maybe my hens dont want to be creative with their eggs and stay the same? [​IMG] If the egg stays the same (long and oval) then i would guess a new layer

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Thanks! [​IMG]

I really hope it is a new layer. Though I would have no idea who it is [​IMG] I do have another polish that will (if she ever does) lay white eggs. The rest are varying shades of brown layers.

This is definitely not a double yolker. It is very small, but long and skinny.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by