Egg Shape/Size

Chickadee95

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
Hi all!
One of my 22 week old BO pullets layed her first egg last Saturday! It was light brown and narrow. We got another yesterday that looked exactly the same. And then today we got one that was smaller, squatter, and a slightly darker brown color (but definitely a darker color).
So my question is, does one chicken's eggs always look the same, or could another girl be laying too?? We have 3 buffs and 1 EE.
Thanks!

I have new layers, about 2 weeks now, and they have changed shape and color. But I am seeing them starting to regulate color more as they are approaching large size eggs. My BO's are a light pink and my BR's are a light brown with a few darker speckles. Still waiting for my Production RIR to lay their first hard egg. Gotten a couple of "fart" eggs under the roost.

Those eggs sound pretty! I can't wait for my EE to lay, I hope her eggs aren't white
fl.gif

So the eggs will vary in color and size for a little while. Do you notice your eggs getting bigger pretty soon after they start laying? I thought that over, say, a year they got bigger?

Oh and also did your birds squat? The one that I suspect is laying is doing some serious squatting. Does anyone know what squatting is for? Is it an egg laying position?

Thanks for the reply!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
sqautting is when the pullet reaches her mating maturity which should coinside with their coming into point of lay. It's really cute to see them do it, they kind of bend over and lift their tail and open their wings. You'll know it when you see it. I have a BR that has been laying for a month and only took off 2 days, (that good girl!) her eggs have gone from small to medium size in the month and she's layed 3 double yolkers that were at least large maybe x-large. It won't take a year.

I think squatting is so funny
smile.png
and it allows me to pet 2 of my more shy birds!
That's really interesting about the size - it'll be fun to watch. Then we'll know if another starts laying in a month, because her eggs will be tiny in comparison!

Thanks!

your ee will lay green or blue eggs ... my hen just started laying she is about 6-7 months old they are as big as my thumb lol the top part its from my mille fleur / polish i have hens that lay huge or small eggs sometimes but from my red sex link she has big brown eggs i have a BR that lays brown eggs the same size as my bantams do lol

Oh wow your fridge must be a mix of completely different eggs!
How small are bantam eggs? Do you eat them? (Newbie question, I know)

Back
Top Bottom