1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg shell is wrinkled looking?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cricket1975, Dec 29, 2011.

1. cricket1975

cricket1975 New Egg

Apr 4, 2011
    Every so often, my girls lay a wrinkled looking egg. Is this normal?

2. jpcode

jpcode Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Sacramento
    please post a pic

3. cricket1975

cricket1975 New Egg

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm computer challenged, I uploaded, but don't know how to put pic on a post?

4. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:you cant post pictures until after 10 posts, but yes it is normal, will get better, but will sometimes still happen.

RobertH

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

There are some other threads on here where folks talk about the wrinkled egg they get...I would suggest to definitely do a BYC search for wrinkled egg.

But here is a thread that you should know about. I have NO idea if that would be your situation or not:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=906527

6. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Wow, scary link, I had no idea that it could be IB. I get a wrinkled one very ocassionally from one hen, but I think it has more to do with being soft-shelled, as they are definitely softer than a normal egg.

7. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    I get wrinkled eggs sometimes and my hens are fine and so are the eggs

8. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I have a BO who lays slightly wrinkly eggs. Nothing like the one in the linked post - yikes!

9. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I have gotten an occasional wrinkled egg......seems more that it is a soft shell egg and hardens wrinked after it sits a while. I've seen it twice with my guineas and once with my ducks.

10. Stephers

Stephers New Egg

Mar 22, 2012
    I have just found a wrinkled egg very much like the one pictured on the lik but there are no other symptoms of IB. I think they are moulting and its hot too. I have been giving them cat food recently to help them with the moult. Could it also be a lack of minerals needed to form the shell?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by