Egg shell issue.

Mar 14, 2020
Ontario
Hi guys, I have seen several posts about similar issues but I haven't been able to find an exact answer. I am trying to figure out why I have one chicken that is laying daily, but each and every egg has a weak spot in the exact same spot. Other than she is an older chicken she doesn't appear to be ill in any way, the other two girls are perfectly fine and so are their eggs. They all eat roughly the same amount oh, they all eat roughly the same things. They have oyster shells, they have laying pellets, freshwater in three different spots in our backyard, and most days they just wander around the backyard on their own. Does anybody know what would be causing this

Attachments

• 20200711_161503.jpg
    20200711_161503.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 13
I'm not sure what the problem would be then.:confused: I used to get eggs from time to time that would be completely soft and squishy. Hope you get it figured out! Sorry I couldn't help!

Are you sure that that particular hen laying those eggs is eating any of the oyster shell? I've never gotten any eggs like that so I can't really help;
but it might be worth following her around for part of a day to see if she eats any.

I'm not sure what the problem would be then.:confused: I used to get eggs from time to time that would be completely soft and squishy. Hope you get it figured out! Sorry I couldn't help!
The only thing I can figure is her age, and if that's the case as long as shes healthy and happy I couldn't care less. Thank you though

Are you sure that that particular hen laying those eggs is eating any of the oyster shell? I've never gotten any eggs like that so I can't really help;
but it might be worth following her around for part of a day to see if she eats any.
Oh yes she does. I usually drop them at her feet and she will chow down on them. Also her eggs tend to have little calcium balls at the tip of the egg or in the egg occasionally. It's not a diet thing as far as I know. I'm more leaning towards age. She does also lay a shell less egg once in a while.

How old?
What breed?
Her shelling gland may just be going funky.
She would be likely 6 or 7 ( I am her retirement home)
Easter egger/olive egger
It is very possible that's the issue, occasionally there are larger deposits of calcium on the opposite side of the shell.

Back
Top Bottom