DaveOmak

Songster
6 Years
May 18, 2013
Omak, Washington
My Coop
My Coop
... ...

The white and yolk were probably eaten I would guess.... the "membranes" were found on the poop board and in the run.... I'm guessing but these shells are not from my Red Sagitta's (uneducated guess)... I have 3 that are laying and egg production is 2-3 eggs/day...

My other Red Sagitta hen appears she will never mature... small comb and wattles... 9 months old too... and her feathers are red/blonde ish.... I suppose the eggs could have been laid by my Blue Laced Wyandotte... She's about 7 months old... The Lav. Orp. died about a month ago....

They have the lights on around 1 AM and dusk is 4 PM....

They are fed Layena pellets... I have 2 different styles of feeders so they have a choice and there is no competition when it comes to feeding.... and they won't run out of feed....

Supplements are Granite grit, roasted egg shells and oyster shells.....

They get layena scratch daily.... about 2 Tbs in the AM after egg collection and 2 Tbs in the PM before dusk... Their crops are full when they get the scratch... Scraps of lettuce etc. a couple times a week....

Heated water with about 1-2% ACV... the kind with the mother in it... our water is hard and deposits form fairly fast... the ACV keeps the water nipples from plugging up I think...

Do you think it is the Wyandotte laying these soft shells ??? Are there any recommendations that I might try....

If I'm leaving out some valuable info, let me know.....

New to chickens..... Dave....

edit.. I forgot the pics of the soft shells...

Last edited:
Occasional soft or shell-less eggs are usually just a glitch in the egg laying system and they are especially common in new layers or in birds just coming back into lay as as they get into gear, they sometimes just seem to happen randomly. Usually the egg is just moving through the system too fast or the hen released two yolks on the same day and the second doesn't spend time in the shell gland. It is not necessarily related to a lack of calcium as such, it can be related to the bird's ability to use calcium or a defective shell gland. If it is just one bird doing it continuously, I would be inclined to think it is a problem specific to her, and probably not diet/ disease/ disturbances which you might want to look into if you seem to have multiple birds doing it. There is a list of causes on The Poultry Site ... http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs

I've read that ACV can inhibit the absorption of calcium in some hens.
I have pretty hard water too, doesn't seem to affect the HN's.

th.gif

My Silver Laced Wyandotte FINALLY laid a real egg this AM..... 50 grams...... I'm guessing she was the one who has been "PRACTICING" over the last little while.... She's 8 1/2 months old... give or take..... She even laid in the nest box this AM.... COOL....

..... ...

.....SLW and Red Sagitta....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom