Soft Whites

Abzon

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2024
Helllo

I recently have been getting eggs with a very soft white after boiling others are firm. I have 4 different hens 1 red (older) 1 orp (1yr) 1 plymoth (1yr) 1 grey (older) all eat the same feed and share the same couip. All seem very healthy and happy. The shells are perfect on all eggs. this is a questions about the firmness of the white after boiling.

The quality of eggs tends to break down with older birds. I think the whites quality breaks down first, and eventually the yolk becomes very fragile. Once I questioned if hatching these eggs would be possible. There was some discussion and different view points.

People immediately think diet - but really diet is not going to stop aging even if it is a perfect diet.

I would use the older birds for scrambled eggs or baking.

Mrs K

Helllo

I recently have been getting eggs with a very soft white after boiling others are firm. I have 4 different hens 1 red (older) 1 orp (1yr) 1 plymoth (1yr) 1 grey (older) all eat the same feed and share the same couip. All seem very healthy and happy. The shells are perfect on all eggs. this is a questions about the firmness of the white after boiling.
How soft, like still runny?
Are the yolks firm?

Yolks are normal and the white is not runny just really soft. it seems like it’s one of the younger hens as their eggs are smaller so easy to tell apart. Fired or scrambled have not noticed it just hard boiled which is the main way I eat them 3 or 4 a day.

Since you can ID the problem eggs I just wouldn't hard boil those. Like I specifically save eggs from my EEs for hard boiling, for example, they peel better for me and are more consistent in size and quality. Or like eggs from my oldest birds go straight to the dogs, the whites and yolks are fragile and runny so I don't want to eat them myself.

Back
Top Bottom