Egg shipping advice.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pokes79, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Pokes79

Pokes79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    I am looking at buying some eggs online and having them shipped. Is it safe since the weather here in New Jersey is in the 20s and below? I will be able to meet the postman so they won't be sitting out long, but I wonder if they might freeze in the truck or during shipping. What do you guys think?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. PaintedPony

PaintedPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    It can be done. Where are the eggs you want coming from? If it's a seasoned shipper who will drop a few heat packs in the box, and you really want/need the eggs now, it's worth a shot. Maybe someone will send you some free eggs to test the shipping before you pay for the eggs you want/need?

I'd try it with someone I knew, or trusted, to package well and drop a few hot packs in it. The packs only last a few hours but the heat would be well insulated so it would help keep the eggs warm even after the packs stop producing heat.

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Ask the shipper to obtain a styrofoam shipper from his/her local pharmacy. (They receive drugs in them and should give them away) These are generally 2-3 inches thick and should help protect the eggs from damaging cold...or heat for that matter.

4. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    I would ask the shipper to have the package held at the post office for you to pick up. They probably wouldn't get frozen in the postal truck but they may get bounced around a bit. I have some on day 14 that were "in the system" for a week before they made it to me due to the blizzard we had.

5. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I have been shipping in winter to Alaska and have not had eggs freeze but one time maybe, when the mail truck had to turn back after waiting several hours after a semi truck jack knifed in the highway and closed it for a day. [​IMG] Some of those eggs looked to have freeze damage but 3 of them started anyway. ( it's been pretty cold a few times, like 10 degrees) I've had far more trouble with handling issues. I swear the USPS uses my egg boxes for an impromptu soccer match on occasion. Someone told me Express mail is hand transferred, and I am going to try that and see if it's worth it. 3 of the folks who have shipped did so in styrofoam cartons and it worked beautifully. They are really light but are super insulators.

6. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    And then you can turn around and turn those shipping containers into more incubators!

7. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    You betcha. I've got one going now. Its maintained temperature for 3 days. I might use it!
    Donna

8. JCoogle

JCoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I am always worried about putting "FRAGILE" on a package. When I worked for UPS the sorters seemed to love to toss those packages.

9. PaintedPony

PaintedPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    I have never bought eggs in the winter but I just did today because it was a breed I wanted and the price was perfect. They are coming from the north so I hope they arrive okay. I am glad to see some have had eggs make it safely in 10 degree weather. My temps are going to drop to single digits so I was worried about the eggs freezing. I'm not as concerned after reading this. Shipper says they can make it just fine w/o hand warmers (heat packs) so I will be awaiting their arrival later this week.

The mishandling of "FRAGILE" packages seems wrong. What a shame they can't respect other people's property and care for it as if it was their own. I am in a small town and our postal employees are great with packages. LOL! I guess my age is showing with comments like that huh?

10. Fowl Visions

Fowl Visions Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Keystone Heights, FL
    Quote:Great idea! Usually down here I don't even think of it but with the temps we have been having lately I might check into it. When I ship eggs I usually line the box with big bubble wrap anyway so the eggs are insulated from damage to the box. I would think that should be good enough to keep them from freezing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by