Egg Size by Breed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CarlaRiggs, Jan 15, 2009.

1. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

I've searched several different sites, with different results [​IMG] , so I thought I'd ask owners of the different breeds what size eggs their girls are laying.
    I thought I had carefully chosen large egg layers ~ looks like I was wrong.

Barred Rock lays a nice large egg... 2 - 2.5 oz eggs.
    Buff Orp has layed 3 large eggs, and all the others mediums.... 1.8 oz eggs.
    Wyandotte lays medium eggs.... 1.8 oz
    Austrolorpe I'm not sure. : ) I know she's laying but I've not actually caught her in the act. I have a strong hunch her eggs are 1.8 oz, also.

If I purchase any replacement birds, I would like to have a hen that will lay large eggs. I bake alot, and this is generally what a recipe calls for.

Carla

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Eggs will get bigger, but less frequent, and the hen ages.

My girls are still young - about 7 months - and lay eggs in the 51-56g range. (1.8-1.99 oz)

My RIR is an egg machine. Man, watch that girl go! Big, dark eggs 7-8 days in a row.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    From what I have heard Delawares lay large eggs as do white leggon (can't spell today). A lot of others lay med. to large. All start out smaller when they are pullets and after the molt usually as the others say get larger and less often . Jean

4. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    my RIR and BR girls lay large to extra large eggs (BR lay the occasional extra large). My RIR are 3 years old now and starting to slow down to 3-4 eggs per week. My BR are still young and can push out an egg almost every day. I have several austrolorp and mutt hens all lay medium eggs.

If I remember right when I was starting out and looking for large brown layer in addition to RIR and BR on my list were, delawares, orpingtons, wyandotte, barnvelders & wellsummers.
    It was just so happened that all I could get were RIR and BR at the time.

Cory

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by