Egg size of a robin egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sylvialarry, May 17, 2011.

1. Sylvialarry

Sylvialarry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Northern Calif
    Has any one ever had their girls lay an egg they size of a robin egg. I was surprised when I went to gather their eggs. Betty (who laid the egg) she is an ameraucana. After her molt she did not lay an egg for 7 months. Any ideas as to why she laid such a small egg. I cracked it open and there was no yoke just white. Yesterday and today I received normal size eggs.

[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I had one of those the other day from one of my Welsummers. It is called a "fart egg," even though the term makes me blush with embarrassment. That word is banned in our house with our two kids, and thus I wish I could find another term for it. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a better word. [​IMG]

It is just an oops in the egg production cycle and it must be common, as I have read other accounts of them on BYC.

3. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    "Wind egg" is a milder term. Or OOPS egg.

4. storeman

storeman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Oops egg.

5. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    We have gotten a couple of those this spring, DH calls them robin eggs(ours are also EE's)

6. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    It's a fart egg! [​IMG]

Somtimes you'll get these weird eggs. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with

the chicken. I had one from our 2 year old hens the other day. First one I've ever

seen, but it suprisingly had a yolk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by