Egg size???

Momof2gr8kidz

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 30, 2009
K I have 1 RIR that has layed for a few weeks now and they are on the very small to small size. Then I have 1 EE and 1 Orpington, they also have the same size eggs just started the first of this week laying. Well my question is.. I have a friend with the same type of birds with the exception of a sexlink in her bunch. Her eggs are large and there is one that is always laying really large eggs and no they are not double yokers. So what I want to know is does what you feed them effect the egg size. Is there a way to get bigger eggs out if them? I feed them layena unlimited shells and granite also chicken scratch for treats. And free range around the backyard a couple of hours a day.

Only time will increase the size of their eggs. They start out small when the hen first starts laying and get larger as time goes on.

Time and age. Best to start out small and work there way up naturally anyway... otherwise things could tare owww.
hit.gif

Everyone is right, the older the bigger. I read somewhere that at 30 weeks the eggs will be about as large as they will get. But I would think that is based on an average start lay age, and every bird is different.

I came across a chart yesterday that is full of great information. Maybe someone at BYC created it, I don't know but it was helpful. It describes all breeds, their physical size, traits and egg color and size plus more!

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Back
Top Bottom