Egg smell

stangdon

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
I do have a question or concern last week the mallard duck that had been nesting under our tree, which she has done for several years got killed. I have her eggs in an incubator at 98 degrees and on a mover but I have tried to candle the and can see an oblivious air sac but not much else and there is and odor with them I'm concerned that the eggs have gone bad, I am very new to this and would like any and all help. The duck family was kind of nice to see each year and now my son is three I would like him to enjoy something I still find amazing. Thank you for your time and help....

the smell doesn't necessarily mean they've all gone bad, it may be just one..but you must find it , if you don't it will explode and taint the other eggs. If you can't tell by candling..(you would see like maybe a sloshing inside which doesn't happen with a live chic) if you put your nose to an egg that's not bad..it just smells like an egg..nothing really..but if you put your nose to an egg that has gone bad. it will smell like a dead animal smell..you'll know right away. I had one go bad in my incubator once and i could smell it every time i walked past the incubator..so i found the offending egg, threw it out and the incubator stopped smelling right away..all the rest hatched fine. it happens. Just make sure you find it right away before it breaks in the incubator or it could cause the other eggs not to hatch, or the ducklings will be sick if they do hatch.

I removed one that had a crack in it and defiantly smelled non of the rest did so I will see, thank you and I'm sorry if I ask a lot of dumb questions not sure about all this first time experience. Also does the air chamber need to face up I have them in an egg turner that moves them ...

oh good!..and there are no dumb questions..don't be silly. the eggs should be large side up...air chamber up..in my incubator it sort of has them lay down and i have an automatic turner..but i sort of angle the large end up. Good luck..i hope they hatch!!

Thank you for your help and I will let you know . I read that when they are close to hatching ill hear noises from the and that I should take them out of the auto turner then and just let them on the screen in the bottom, I guess I'm afraid I won't be home and they will burn themselves on the element any ideas

Back
Top Bottom