egg song question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emmak, Sep 8, 2010.

1. emmak

emmak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    North Central Texas
    Has anyone had a hen that used the egg song for other purposes? My hen starts hollering her egg song if I don't get out there and open the coop soon enough for her.

2. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    All the songs sound the same to our human ears....but somehow, the chickens know the difference between one song and another. The "I laid an egg song" sounds the same as "wheres my breakfast?"

3. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    I've had mine do what sure sounded like the egg song when I had a new bird fly over my neighbors fence. All of my old flock that hadn't even met the new birds yet started screaming it. It was like they were telling her were safety was or something. It was odd. Other than that, mine are very quiet hens. All in all, they are all a young flock since I've only had the "old flock" for about 3.5 months and the new flock for a month, although I bought them all when they were about 6-8 weeks at an auction. None have laid eggs yet, so the egg song hasn't been used for eggs yet either. lol.

4. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Mine blurt a couple egg song notes when startled. I think it's also used as an alarm call.

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    My bo hen doesn't sing the egg song. But she is very loud and noisy when she is upset. My Andalusian pullet has sang when in her 1st labor pain

6. delfargo

delfargo Chillin' With My Peeps

o.k.. i'm new to this, but i have read alot about the whole "raising chickens" thing.
    however, i have never heard of this "song" y'all are talking about. can you fill me in?

7. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:Some people call it the egg song, but to others it's known as "cackling" or a "chicken cackle". It sounds like this - "Bok Bok Bok Bok BAWGAWWK! Bok Bok Bok BAWGAWK!" Sometimes it's sounds a little different than that, depending on the chicken. It's loud, not as loud as rooster's crow but it's loud alright. It can last anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes. Hens do it before or after laying, but like this thread says, they can use it for other purposes too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by