Egg song with no eggs and other weird silkie behaviour?

jonaeselaye

Songster
Nov 3, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Does anyone else's chicken do the egg song without an egg? I went to feed my chickens this morning, all were already out of the coop foraging except 1 silkie. I opened the coop and saw her sitting in the nest box deep in sleep. I lifted her up to check if there was an egg under her- nothing. I looked all around the coop and there were no eggs (wasnt surprised though, all my girls are afternoon layers for some reason). I nudged her awake to let her know there was food outside, she woke up, went outside the coop and did her egg song very loudly for a while. She only started laying last week and is the only one of my silkies who does the egg song. I looked all around their enclosure and there are no eggs. As crazy as this sounds, is it possible that she was dreaming that she was laying an egg :p

Also, should I be concerned that she was sleeping in? She doesn't seem ill and foraged normally with the other silkies after I woke up her. I'm thinking that maybe she's just more tired than usual because the past couple of days she's been getting bullied by 2 young sex links. Nothing too aggressive or dangerous, just normal re-establishing the pecking business.

...or she's going to lay an egg, some take longer, and some like to 'lounge' before and after laying...she's a new layer and it can take awhile until she gets it down.

I did find two silkie eggs in the next box she was sleeping in so I think you could be right :D I think ever since my isa brown was hospitalised and racked up a $1000 vet bill the other week I've been overly paranoid about every little thing out of the ordinary :lau

...or she's going to lay an egg, some take longer, and some like to 'lounge' before and after laying...she's a new layer and it can take awhile until she gets it down.
Yes, one of mine sat in the nesting box for 4 hours before laying her egg. She did that for months. Now she still sits for a few hours.

One of my other chickens sings the egg song all the time, not just when laying. I am pretty sure she figured out that I come out when I hear it, and she will get some attention. :)

Back
Top Bottom