gclarrot

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
Great news about your egg, however I have a reverse problem..we have a blue laced Wyandotte that's 28 ish weeks and laid for about two weeks and then went broody... go figure.
That’s isn’t fair! i needed t addres the nesting box issue now since she laid beside the nesting box. 🙄

Avid_living

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2020
New Hampshire
I had this issue as well. My nest box was a 3 slot one with no cover on the back and front or top. Very open but portable.

I made a plywood 12x14x12 and boxed it in besides the front. I have garden fence laying over the front for privacy. 4 will day if the fence is over the opening..they just move it and go in. If I move the fence then they all lay elsewhere in the run.

And...my frizzel lays back in the coop 🙄

That garden fence saved the day.

That’s isn’t fair! i needed t addres the nesting box issue now since she laid beside the nesting box. 🙄

gclarrot

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
I had this issue as well. My nest box was a 3 slot one with no cover on the back and front or top. Very open but portable.

I made a plywood 12x14x12 and boxed it in besides the front. I have garden fence laying over the front for privacy. 4 will day if the fence is over the opening..they just move it and go in. If I move the fence then they all lay elsewhere in the run.

And...my frizzel lays back in the coop 🙄

That garden fence saved the day.
My nesting box is a three compartment one with a no roost top and it’s beside the dropping board on three cinder blocks. She decided to lay under the dropping board beside the box. She made herself a little hole. So, I’m now wondering if I should open the whole top or introduce “open” nest boxes such as a dairy crate from TS or those large bowls with shavings.

Obviously I’d keep the old three compartment one in there until they decide the best fit for them.

I was planning to add 2-3 ducks into the coop in the spring (not keep them in the run for obvious reasons) as they’d probably sleep under the roosting board on the ground. I have an open coop (3 walls and an attached run. I’m in central Florida). I rather not have a pullet who prefers a hole as now I have a sandy egg.

Avid_living

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2020
New Hampshire
Excellent. So, mine prefer shavings than straw or hay. You could put the box in the area she was laying and maybe see if she gets the picture. Add an egg in there as well, maybe the one she laid the other day.

I have one ameracauna who will walk around until she finds her favorite spot to lay in the garage which I moved the box to three shelves up. . I pick her up, put her back in the run and into her box. About 30 min later, bingo. .

So if you have time and see her picking up stuff ( I have straw or hay in my run) from a corner then you can always pick her up and try putting her in the box.

My nesting box is a three compartment one with a no roost top and it’s beside the dropping board on three cinder blocks. She decided to lay under the dropping board beside the box. She made herself a little hole. So, I’m now wondering if I should open the whole top or introduce “open” nest boxes such as a dairy crate from TS or those large bowls with shavings.

Obviously I’d keep the old three compartment one in there until they decide the best fit for them.

I was planning to add 2-3 ducks into the coop in the spring (not keep them in the run for obvious reasons) as they’d probably sleep under the roosting board on the ground. I have an open coop (3 walls and an attached run. I’m in central Florida). I rather not have a pullet who prefers a hole as now I have a sandy egg.

gclarrot

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
Excellent. So, mine prefer shavings than straw or hay. You could put the box in the area she was laying and maybe see if she gets the picture. Add an egg in there as well, maybe the one she laid the other day.

I have one ameracauna who will walk around until she finds her favorite spot to lay in the garage which I moved the box to three shelves up. . I pick her up, put her back in the run and into her box. About 30 min later, bingo. .

So if you have time and see her picking up stuff ( I have straw or hay in my run) from a corner then you can always pick her up and try putting her in the box.
🤣🤣 such particular birds.

They were picking the shavings out of the boxes. Not laying in them. Great ideas on putting a box in her spot. I’ll move over a decoy egg in a dairy box!

FLXCHIX

Chirping
Jul 18, 2020
Naples, New York
I had two hens just start laying and have not heard them ‘sing’ and I’m outside and know when my one hen is laying. Crickets! Howeve, I have heard them make this noise in other instances. Who knows?

Top Bottom