Egg stamp

So I found an interesting link on the website: Authentic Heirlooms. The article is titled "Why we don't sell Egg Stamps". It is a good, but brief overview on stamps, selling eggs, FDA regs, why rubber stamps are actually very bad to use directly on eggs, and a few other things. At the bottom, they have a few links to FDA specific sites that deal with eggs and colored inks etc. Overall, it is OK to stamp your eggs, but there are specific rules around this like EVERYTHING that touches the egg must be made with food grade/food safe items, and regular rubber stamps do not comply for a variety of reasons. Then there is the issue of ink - must be ink made for food. But if interested, there are resources to read.

So I found an interesting link on the website: Authentic Heirlooms. The article is titled "Why we don't sell Egg Stamps". It is a good, but brief overview on stamps, selling eggs, FDA regs, why rubber stamps are actually very bad to use directly on eggs, and a few other things. At the bottom, they have a few links to FDA specific sites that deal with eggs and colored inks etc. Overall, it is OK to stamp your eggs, but there are specific rules around this like EVERYTHING that touches the egg must be made with food grade/food safe items, and regular rubber stamps do not comply for a variety of reasons. Then there is the issue of ink - must be ink made for food. But if interested, there are resources to read.
That was the same article I was reading. Thanks for the input! Any recommendations on what stamps to buy?

That was the same article I was reading. Thanks for the input! Any recommendations on what stamps to buy?

So, in my search for a gift for a chicken keeping friend, I've been looking into stamps, cartons, stickers (for the cartons) - various options. I've not settled on anything yet. With regards to the stamp, I would always look to a food safe ink (even before researching this), so have been surprised that some places are actually selling what is obviously not food safe ink, but they are simply selling a novelty, and I should note that where I saw non-food safe ink being sold for use on eggs, it was NOT marketed as food safe, so they were not being dishonest. Some places say they are selling food safe ink - and maybe they are, but they do not note anything other than "food safe", and no mention of conforming to any food standards, etc, and no pictures of the label on the ink.

The biggest takeaway for me on this issue was that *everything* that touches the egg (or food) must be able to be properly cleaned and sterilized. Therefore, many stamps would not comply. It was also noted that stamp+ink+inkpad had to be food safe. It is not as simple as it seems. Also, harder to source and likely more expensive. Most of us would envision a rubber stamp, but that is definitely not food safe (pourous and leaves behind potentially allergenic or harmful particles).

However, if you are not selling eggs, no worries, as the FDA or any food agency is not going to come after you. If you are selling eggs, then these are things you have to be aware of to keep out of trouble.

One person that commented on the article on Authentic Heirlooms, indicated that they hand paint a logo (or something) on the eggs using food safe dyes/colorants. This would clearly work in a high end market that would love that bit of hand touch and could command an appropriate price. Of course, your brushes would need to be able to be sanitized (which I think could work fine).

In the end, I'm still searching and haven't come up with a solution.m

Most of us would envision a rubber stamp, but that is definitely not food safe (pourous and leaves behind potentially allergenic or harmful particles).
Depends on the type of 'rubber'...platinum silicone would be safe, it's used in pharmaceutical production.

Depends on the type of 'rubber'...platinum silicone would be safe, it's used in pharmaceutical production.

Exactly. Rubber stamps are just that: rubber and are the most often found kind of stamps. Silicone is a very common material used in food service and production and is not an allergen. However, I haven’t yet seen an appropriate egg stamp for sale. But, can’t say I’ve extensively researched stamps either.

Wonder if Egglands Best would tell us?
Seriously, not sure it's that big of a deal....the ink, yes but the stamp?

Wonder if Egglands Best would tell us?
Seriously, not sure it's that big of a deal....the ink, yes but the stamp?

An issue if allergy or selling. FDA says no rubber stamps (of the pourous rubber kind) or applicator that can’t be sterilized, so potential issue if selling.

Back
Top Bottom