Egg stealing crows!

yep, I purposefully collect and set out unwanted/extra eggs in a specific spot the crows and ravens "know" is ok to take eggs from because they harass the hawks away. Sometimes they even fly over and circle right over head as I'm walking towards that spot.... I also toss trapped gophers in the same spot, the ravens especially love those treats.

As for nest boxes I have them deep inside the covered(with solid roof, not netting) runs... crows usually are nervous about entering structures however they can and do learn- seen one raven walk right into a hen house and out with an egg.. has not happened here, though. Maybe sparkling ribbons or something that moves a lot attached to the ceiling inside the coop/run?

Maybe if nothing works, keep the hens inside until most have laid their eggs.. so the crows would not get any or much reward if they do come in again?

Last edited:
Quote:
This has been interesting, as I didn't know crows were helpful with hawks...but we sure have plenty out here. I think I'd rather lose a few eggs than a few chickens! I've been keeping the hens in later in the day and then collecting the eggs when I let them out. This seems to help. I'll try some sparkling ribbons or the like - hadn't thought of that. I also think I need to make some adjustments to the nesting boxes. I kind of like the idea of leaving any unwanted or damaged eggs for the crows...

Excellent!
smile.png

Didn't occur to me because it's so normal to me- I use covered cat litter boxes(new from store, never used by kitties! Gross!) and face them towards the wall about foot/2 foot away from wall, instead of "open"- facing into the center of pen with lots visibility. Probably helps with nil visibility for the crows..

I had an idea, if you already have homemade wooden nest box row, hang up curtains right on front of nest boxes? That would help lessen the visibility, both for crows and to protect the eggs if there's a hen that like to peck at random eggs to see if they will break.

If you leave eggs for crows, probably best to consider not leaving them on ground overnight- could attract skunks or possums.. not a problem if set them on open and elevated structures- the crows will take eggs off the trash cans(feed is stored in 'em) if I forget to take them inside after chores...
roll.png
They're so smart they probably will learn if you use a specific call/signal every time you set the eggs..

Just to be sure, crows/ravens are not fool proof protection against hawks.. but hey, any help in shooing them away doesn't hurt at all..

Quote:
I never thought of using a covered cat litter box. Hmm...
I had already thought of hanging curtains in front of the boxes, but am wondering about what type of material...maybe repurposing a shower curtain would do the trick and still be easy to clean.

Glad you mentioned not leaving the eggs on the ground overnight, I might have done so. We haven't had problems with skunks or possums - but definately with racoons. Those critters really aren't cute once you've seen what they'll do to a chicken.

I love the covered cat box for a nest solution! My last crazy batch of hens never used the boxes we made for them. They always laid down in the hay bales and I found more eggs that had rolled down and gotten crushed. I am not storing the hay anymore with my new chickens though so I am definitely getting a couple of cat boxes. Thanks so much for posting!

Back
Top Bottom