1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg steps before in the bator Please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by L*A*G*, Jan 16, 2009.

1. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    OK i know to let them set 8 hrs b4 going in the bator, I know not to wash them, is there anything else I'm missing do or don't
    b4 the eggs go in the bator???
    Please let me know,
    Larra

2. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    I don't know anything about it LAG. Sorry.

3. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    dont drop them they sort of dont hatch out that way

[​IMG]

4. natalie1136

natalie1136 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    I'm also new at this, but i know you need to have your bator on and have the temp. and humidity stable before you put them in. I had my bator running 2-3 days before my eggs came in the mail. I let them sit and when i put them in the temp and humidity went way down. I was worried about it so i watched it like a hawk and it finally stabilized again. I am only on day 5 so i'm in no way an expert. Just my opinion.

Natalie

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

let them sit for 8-12 hours,, i opt for the 12 not just for "settling" but for them to get room temp. too,,,,,, count, tap the ones you want to be hens lightly 6 times on the left side of the egg, twice on right, ( this only works if you have the egg set right, a little off,, and it dont work [​IMG] ) , say i'll see ya in 3 or 4 days,,, bye bye............

6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:[​IMG]

Don't forget the small end goes down.

7. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    I won't [​IMG]

8. crubner

crubner Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    If you're collecting eggs from your own hens, are you suppose to turn them while you're collecting enough to put in the incubator?

Thanks,

Cheryl

9. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    If I'm collecting the eggs over the course of a week or two, how would you store the eggs until you have enough to put in the bator??

I don't routinely leave eggs outside no matter what the weather is.

[​IMG]

10. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:cool dry place,, round 50 - 60 degrees ( i use a fridge set on the warmest setting) when you have as many as you want,, ( like was said,, you must keep turning them even in the fridge) take them out, open the cartons, and let them sit there 8 or so hours, till their room temp. then stick em in the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by