Egg storage, no fridge!

bluetrain

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Western NC
I know there have been some other discussions about egg storage, room temp vs refrigerator. I have a question in this area that might be a bit different.
First, assume you do not have a refrigerator. So now we are talking about room temperature. Is the consensus 6 months maximum before tossing? (I would hope that I would have either eaten them way before that) I read on another forum that eggs stored in a carton should be flipped over once a week to keep the yolk from coming in contact with the shell. Is that valid??

Thanks.

If they have never been washed you can store on the counter.
I dont know about the flipping thing. I do know you turn hatching eggs to keep them from sticking.
I remember my Grandfather never stored his eggs in the fridge.He left them out in trays until he took them to market to sell.

Quote:
Exactly what constitutes "washed"? I mean, if I have water on my hands and pick up and egg, is that enough to remove the bloom? (and that was a new phrase to me when I started reading today!!) I have seen others say to wipe the dirty shell with a dry cloth to not remove the bloom.
I did read somewhere too about the turning the eggs if you are going to hatch them. Where I read about the turning to keep the yolk from sticking to shell the person was talking about that was what would cause the egg to go "bad" sooner, the yolk/shell contact.

Quote:
I think 6 months is way too long at room temperature. I keep them up to a month for boiled eggs because old eggs are easy to shell. when you crack an egg this old both the white and the yolk is going to spread much more than a fresh egg will. I have kept eggs for 6 months but they were coated with water glass (sodium silicate solution) and kept in a moist cool cellar. These old eggs were ALWAYS broken one at a time into a small bowl in case it was a bad egg, so you don't ruin the rest or what ever you might be plannng on adding the egg to. A practice I strongly recommend.

If you are in doubt about the freshness of an egg that you are about to eat, you can drop it in a glass of water and if it's fresh it will sink to the bottom of the glass.

The older an egg gets the larger the gas bubble at the large end of an egg gets. If the gas bubble gets large enough that the egg floats then you don't want to eat it.

I saw where you can create a cool environment by placing one smaller clay pot inside another larger clay pot, filling the gap with sand and wetting the sand- then covering the pots with damp towel the evaporation of the water from the sand cools the inner pot yet it is a relatively dry cool environment!

I thought this was a cool idea for those that may want or need to store eggs on the counter even if you air condition- as long as evaporation is taking place- inside the inner pot is cooler than room air!

Quote:
I have seen that very thing too.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom