Egg storage

I will have to try to find these gallon jars if I can find some clean eggs. Are your eggs absolutely spotless? Mine are oftentimes 99% with one speck of dirt or poo on them.
The usual (chicken) solution is to insure that you have good clean bedding. Change out the nesting more often while you are collecting and you will have more clean eggs.

Also how long can you collect them before actually doing the water method? Thanks for your help, I appreciate it very much.
I usually put my eggs into the container in batches. You don't have to put them in every day as you collect them (inconvenient for multiple reasons) and I'll generally collect for up to three days (arbitrary, but they are still plenty fresh) before putting the next batch into the container.

BTW, you will find these and many other questions answered in that master thread linked above.

Last edited:
The usual (chicken) solution is to insure that you have good clean bedding. Change out the nesting more often while you are collecting and you will have more clean eggs.

I usually put my eggs into the container in batches. You don't have to put them in every day as you collect them (inconvenient for multiple reasons) and I'll generally store for up to three days (arbitrary, but they are still plenty fresh) before putting the next batch into the container.

BTW, you will find these any many other questions answered in that master thread linked above.
Thanks so much. I appreciate your time and help in this matter.

Thanks for the information. I would like to freeze some in small freezer bags, two at a time and then try to fry them up but I am not sure how that will work. I eat mine fried really well with no yolk as otherwise we seem to get a belly ache from them. I love them though so I was looking for good options. I would need to find a four gallon food safe container in order to do this but I would sure like to try it. If only I could convince my ducks to keep those eggs clean, lol. I don't close them up at night as they have several different places to go if they feel the need. They have a large pen that they love covered with a sand bottom. I am just now replacing all of the sand and my back is surely feeling it. I do love those 12 though so hopefully I can come up with a good solution. I did get a Khaki Campbell female that is supposed to lay more than the usual ducks and my others layed until November last year and started back up in March so that wasn't too bad. I sure did miss those eggs though.
Sorry I meant no runny yolk in this message. I can see why someone would think I only eat the whites.

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of egg storage? Does it work? Does it change the flavor or taste of the egg? Or any other helpful info. Thank you.
i learned the lime process on here i believe. Also read you can vaseline them heavily and they will store? i am going to try soon as we get more eggs:)

I see a lot more people doing this. I just haven't needed to try. My hens lay all year long. I keep the eggs in the fridge for months. I'm testing the oiling method with a couple of dozen. I'll check the quality after a few more months. Usually, I give extras away when they start piling up. I froze some once but never needed to eat them. They got so old, I just fed them back to the source.

Back
Top Bottom