Egg stuck in prolapsed vent

Can you make it so you can touch the shell? You might be able to take it out if you can touch enough of the shell, but it’s a procedure that needs to be done very carefully, and preferably by someone like a poultry vet.
I can touch the egg but the membranes are covering it and the egg wont budge now that she sucked her prolapse back in. I managed to get more calcium down her. Shes had access to oyster shells all along with the others. I think that this egg is just huge. If i had a do over i would have sliced that prolapse some and got that egg out. This is now picture. She is walking and pushing but membrane still wrapped around the egg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
The egg is out and shes in isolation pen.

What did you do to get it out? Or did she do it herself when you weren't looking? (I'm trying to learn what works, in case I or someone else has the same situation.)

That's a nice collection of egg colors. Is hers the blue one?

I hope she feels better soon!

What did you do to get it out? Or did she do it herself when you weren't looking? (I'm trying to learn what works, in case I or someone else has the same situation.)

That's a nice collection of egg colors. Is hers the blue one?

I hope she feels better soon!
Yes hers was the blue one. She kept sucking the egg back in. I put her on her side and lubed her vent after soaking her, and massaged the egg back out. It was in a thick membrane and a small hole. We cut the membrane enough to squeeze the egg out then put antibiotic lube in her. I dont know if she will survive. It was worth a try. That blue egg was very wide for a first egg.

I'm glad this is improved!
Often diet plays a role in egg binding; what is here total diet?
Mary
She has a hanging feeder of ManaPro crumbles and free oyster shells. Vitamins as needed. No free range because of predators. Hay on occasions

Yes hers was the blue one. She kept sucking the egg back in. I put her on her side and lubed her vent after soaking her, and massaged the egg back out. It was in a thick membrane and a small hole. We cut the membrane enough to squeeze the egg out then put antibiotic lube in her. I dont know if she will survive. It was worth a try. That blue egg was very wide for a first egg.

Yes, that is quite the large egg for a first-timer to have!

What a scary situation to have to deal with!

Back
Top Bottom