Egg Taste Challenge - Blind Taste Test

Island Roo

Songster
7 Years
Feb 14, 2012
Duncan, BC
I didn't know which forum to post this under but I chose "Feeding and Watering" since I believe those are the most likely factors to affect eggs taste.

I was challenged to taste test some eggs and I'm posting my results because I would be interested to see if anyone else has tried this.

Here's the background:
While discussing store-bought vs farm fresh eggs with a customer, I suggested to her that she do a blind taste test with her husband to see of he could tell the difference. He said they all taste the same. Today she brought me 4 eggs labelled 1,2,3, and 4. I don't know which ones they are but:
- one is "Free Range" from Walmart,
- one that I sold her - fed fermented food and access to 160 square foot rotating "pasture",
- one from her friend's backyard city chicken - dry food and backyard access
- one mystery egg she would not tell me the origin until after I give the results.

They are all fresh from the supplier - farm, friend, walmart, and wherever.

My wife suggested I boil them so that I would not introduce any other flavors - so I did and here are my observations.

Egg #1) Light orange yolk is gritty, Second best smell, white has good texture. Overall flavour - third place

Egg #2) Dark yellow yolk is a bit dry, stongest scent (not a positive), white is not firm (almost mushy) but has nice flavour - second best

Egg #3) Dark orange yolk is dry, second strongest smell, the white is rubbery, least favourite flavour, Last place

Egg #4) Light yellow yolk has richest texture, the white is firm with clean flavour - Gold Medal

I'm really hoping my egg is #4.
fl.gif

The reason I'm posting now is to force myself to be honest. I probably wouldn't go to this trouble if I knew my egg lost. I'll give the honest outcome when I find out tomorrow...

Last edited:
I didn't know which forum to post this under but I chose "Feeding and Watering" since I believe those are the most likely factors to affect eggs taste.

I was challenged to taste test some eggs and I'm posting my results because I would be interested to see if anyone else has tried this.

Here's the background:
While discussing store-bought vs farm fresh eggs with a customer, I suggested to her that she do a blind taste test with her husband to see of he could tell the difference. He said they all taste the same. Today she brought me 4 eggs labelled 1,2,3, and 4. I don't know which ones they are but:
- one is "Free Range" from Walmart,
- one that I sold her - fed fermented food and access to 160 square foot rotating "pasture",
- one from her friend's backyard city chicken - dry food and backyard access
- one mystery egg she would not tell me the origin until after I give the results.

They are all fresh from the supplier - farm, friend, walmart, and wherever.

My wife suggested I boil them so that I would not introduce any other flavors - so I did and here are my observations.

Egg #1) Light orange yolk is gritty, Second best smell, white has good texture. Overall flavour - third place

Egg #2) Dark yellow yolk is a bit dry, stongest scent (not a positive), white is not firm (almost mushy) but has nice flavour - second best

Egg #3) Dark orange yolk is dry, second strongest smell, the white is rubbery, least favourite flavour, Last place

Egg #4) Light yellow yolk has richest texture, the white is firm with clean flavour - Gold Medal

I'm really hoping my egg is #4.
fl.gif

The reason I'm posting now is to force myself to be honest. I probably wouldn't go to this trouble if I knew my egg lost. I'll give the honest outcome when I find out tomorrow...

Interesting. I gotta find out. Can't wait to hear the result tomorrow.

I wanna know too... I have compared store bought eggs to my own and my eggs have a deeper, orangey yolk. The store bought have a greenish yellow yolk. Now whenever I use a store bought egg, this happens...

Me: *cracks egg* "eww"
Other person: "what's wrong?"
Me: "the egg is just so... Gross..."
Other person: "looks fine to me."
Me: (to myself) "people need more farm fresh eggs."

I'll subscribe too so I can see the results.

These blind taste tests are interesting and you usually don't get the results you expect. Part of that is that we all have different tastes and likes. Some people might find that strong scent a plus, not a negative. Or some may put a lot more emphasis on the dark yolk.

Another thing with this test is that you are just using one of each. Any one egg can be unusual or not representative. A different hen in your flock may lay a totally different egg on a different day. For example, a couple of days back my wife cracked a couple of our eggs. One had a reaal dark yolk, the other was fairly light. It could be that different hens laid them about the same time or it could even be the same hen laid them, just one before I fed those red and orange sweet peppers to them and one after.

Age may play a big factor too. I know they are all fresh from the supplier but there could easily be many weeks difference in the actual age.

I'll quit picking apart your test. It is always easy to find fault with anyone that actually tries something. It is a lot harder to do something. I commend you for attempting it and publishing the results fairly.

I'll subscribe too so I can see the results.
These blind taste tests are interesting and you usually don't get the results you expect. Part of that is that we all have different tastes and likes. Some people might find that strong scent a plus, not a negative. Or some may put a lot more emphasis on the dark yolk.
Another thing with this test is that you are just using one of each. Any one egg can be unusual or not representative. A different hen in your flock may lay a totally different egg on a different day. For example, a couple of days back my wife cracked a couple of our eggs. One had a reaal dark yolk, the other was fairly light. It could be that different hens laid them about the same time or it could even be the same hen laid them, just one before I fed those red and orange sweet peppers to them and one after.
Age may play a big factor too. I know they are all fresh from the supplier but there could easily be many weeks difference in the actual age.
I'll quit picking apart your test. It is always easy to find fault with anyone that actually tries something. It is a lot harder to do something. I commend you for attempting it and publishing the results fairly.
I really want to do a taste test on my grandparents who SWEAR brown eggs taste better than white.. :D

What if they are right though? It would just be lucky ;)

When we were on holiday recently my boyfriend refused to eat the eggs served for breakfast in the hotel. He said they tasted "old". With a high turnover of visitors I can only guess that they were store bought and he's just not used to those. Just proves what a difference there is. I'd rather go without eggs than buy them from a store.

I really want to do a taste test on my grandparents who SWEAR brown eggs taste better than white.. :D
What if they are right though? It would just be lucky ;)

There are a few people I'd love to do various blind taste tests on but I won't bring it up. What if you are right? They are mad at you forever for showing them up. What if you are wrong? They are even more obnoxious.

I see no advantage in willingly going into a lose-lose situation where a victory is a loss.

Back
Top Bottom