Egg turner broken in LG, How do I turn eggs w/o losing temp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ctcasper, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ctcasper

ctcasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    I am wondering how you are suppose to keep a constant temp in the incubator when you have to open it and turn eggs three times a day and everything I am reading says that the Little Giants are really temperature finicky. I thought maybe it would be easier to do the turning fast like ifI used the egg carton method. Anyone have any thoughts if that is true, and where is there a how to for the egg carton method, I know it is prob somewhere on this great site, but couldn't find it.

Thanks a bundle.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

If its the motor that broke then remove it an push the turner from one side to the other manually with a stick threw the vent hole.

3. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Is thebator a table top one? If so I'd just raise the whole thing a couple inches on one side and then the other a couple times a day. Just not so high that any water in the bottom spills.

Maybe some LG owners would have better ideas.

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I have my eggs in my LG still air in cartons and I turn the whole bator. I foudn with this though that the heat rises on the side that is up so the eggs at the bottom are a degree or so lower and the ones on top are a degree or so higher, I dont find this to be a problem and Have one hatched 14 on day 19 , 11 on day 14 and some more in the earler stages of gestation. I tend to turn 5 times most the time instead of 3 that way one end isnt up or down as long. Good luck.

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    The broody gets up to turn her eggs, opening bator for a couple minutes will not hurt. Doing them in a egg carton will speed it up, but either way will work.

6. ctcasper

ctcasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    rebelcowboy - It is the motor that is broken, so I tried what you said and it worked like a charm, just stuck the long end of a wooden spoon through the hole and voila, thanks so much, that's one less problem to worry about.

7. Pagemaker

Pagemaker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    That was an excellent tip about turning the auto turner manually.
    I don't think the auto turners turn fast enough to actually do the embryo any good.
    Also you don't have to worry about opening the incubator once a day. Even the setting hen will leave her nest daily to eat and take a dust bath.... or drink .... whatever she needs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by