egg turner motor

millebantam

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Little Rhody
I'm in the process of building my own cabinet style incubator, and I have a dilema. I have already designed and built a 3 level turner frame. It has all three racks synched together. What I'm looking for is a small, high torque, slow RPM, continuous duty, 115V ac motor. I have an old motor from one of those small 42 egg turners, but I don't think it will hold up to the task of turning the three racks together. There is a bit of a weight concern, and although I'm sure it would move the racks, I don't think it would hold up without burning out.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with a similar application? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Jim.

Thanks for the link PC. I had already had that one in the back of my mind, if I had to buy one. They don't give any specs on their motor, so there is nothing to compare to. I have looked on Ebay and have found all kinds of motors. There are synchronous, steppers, etc. I'm just hoping that someone on here may know a little bit about the specifics of these type motors, I'm sure that somewhere out there, there is a $20 motor that is just as good or better than the GQF. I'm trying to keep the cost down on this bator, but I'm already up to about a third of the cost of a new Sportsman. I'm making an almost replica of the old Buckeye cedar bator, complete with real, vintage name plaques, and a urethaned red cedar outer skin. But the guts will be the best that modern technology can offer. I'll try to post some pics as the progress continues. Thanks again.

You can use any size motor, you just have to figure out what size gears to use. The gears might be a problem, but with trail and error that can be over come. If gears are a problem, use pulley wheels. They are easier to come by and cheaper. Don't do like I did once, have the big gear drive the smaller one. If I had anything in the turner it would have still been in the air. With the motor I was using a 1.5" pulley drove a 18" pulley. This was on a homemade bator that had six trays, each holding 150 eggs. If I remmenber correctly it was a 1/3 hp motor.

I've got a bunch of them that I used to use. I get mine from WW Grainger. When I finish my lunch I'll go get the numbers off one. You wiil also need a cammed clock motor and microswitch to tell it when to turn.

I do not have the turner drawn in Cad yet, but I am using a 12v geared motor with a homemade clutch and an irrigation controller to control the motor. I reverse the polarity going to the motor from the controller. I have a controller that controls 4 sections of an sprinkler system and I am using two sections to control the motor. I just reverse the polarity on one of the sections. Which makes it turn one direction and then the opposite direction 6hrs later. I am going to make a power point and Cad drawing if and when everything works. I will try to get everything drawn up, but I have not proved the Idea yet.

Quote:
All that's needed her is a small gear drive motor that turns slow.

I'm impressed but your cad drawings. You must have a lot of girlfriends.
tongue.png

Quote:
All that's needed her is a small gear drive motor that turns slow.

I'm impressed but your cad drawings. You must have a lot of girlfriends.
tongue.png

I don't think my wife would like me having a lot of girlfriends.

Quote:
The GQF Sportsman incubators egg turner consists of more than just a motor. It has a linkage system plus it uses the same motor used in the Hova-bator for a timer on a cam that operates two micro switches.

I don't know if just the motor is going to help.

bandm

Back
Top Bottom