egg turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by seminolewind, Nov 26, 2007.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Do those egg turners turn the eggs adequately? I wonder if there's any correlation between having eggs almost upright in the egg turner, and butts stuck in the eggs. I wonder if laying them on their side and hand turning, like under a hen, is any better.

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I have never run across a study on it. All I can say is I have never found a difference in hatch rates.

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Both of the incubators I have used turn the eggs by rolling them much like the hen would do. They lay on the side and a wheel moves the eggs causing them to turn. I have never had an shell stuck to the butt. Usually humidity issues will cause shells to stick.

I do prefer incubation that replecates the nautral process. It just seems better to me. With that being said, large hatcheries use the cup type of turners and they have incredible results so I feel sure there is no good reason not to use the turning cups.

4. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    I have the cup type turner and have no problems at all with it. The eggs are turned sufficiently.

Richard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by