Egg turning.. how... when ... and why?

Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
Let me start off by telling a little story... its quick I promise...

We lost one of our best roos last night Kazooee. He was such a handsome and gentle boy. So I want to see if any of the eggs we gathered yesterday and the ones we gather today will hatch.

But the eggs that we gathered yesterday have not been turned..

This may sound stupid but how do I turn them?

so because it can get confusing we are going to pretend the eggs are in an egg carton.

do I turn them over like switch which end points down?

do I turn them like winding a clock?

Or does the fact that they have been sitting on the counter for 12 hours in an egg carton mean I am sunk? (its cool in the house the furnace kicked on last night)

No dar, you are fine. I put mine in egg cartons and tip it on its back and then tip it on its front. Actually you could collect eggs for a week and still be getting good fertile eggs.

should I put the eggs in the fridge? or leave them on the counter out of direct sunlight?

I keep eggs in cartons for up to 7 days before incubation and I still get 80%+ hatch rate
just keep the pointed tip down all the time
store in a cool place

if you use a fridge .. make sure to let them cool off before incubation

the thing is, not to keep them laying on the side !!

when you incubate them, then turning is important

Last edited:
If your house is cool and you're only going to collect for less than a week, you're probably better off in a cool place in the house than in the fridge.

If they are in a carton make sure the big end with the air cell is up, pointy end down. You can rock them from one side to the other at a 45 degree angle a couple times a day before you set them by lifting up one side of the carton and than the other to keep the yolk from sticking to one side and keep them out of the fridge on a cool counter
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom