Egg wait anyone???

Well my wife has 15 sex linked and 10 Wynedots (? spelling) at 18 weeks old and we are now getting 10 eggs a day. They started laying two weeks ago. Deep red combs and waddles on the sex linked... I think they are doing all of the laying right now

If you get a chance, go to www.cornucopia.org/ and watch "Scrambled Eggs" video... very interesting.

Good luck with getting your first egg. It made my wife a little (maybe a lot) crazy! :)

I have an Australorp, a Cuckoo Marans, and a Buff Orpington at 20 weeks
No eggs yet, but hopefully soon!
59765_chicken_pics_10-25-10_072.jpg

How close would you all say the australorp is to laying?
59765_chicken_pics_10-25-10_061.jpg

59765_chicken_pics_10-25-10_054.jpg

Hoping we all get eggs soon!

Last edited:
We have 2 Wyandottes, 2 Speckled Sussex and 2 Red Sex Links.... One of the RSLs laid her first egg on Sunday--she had been squatting for a couple of weeks prior. (we have had 3 eggs this week now) None of the others have shown any interest yet, despite fully developed combs/wattles (I think...) They are all around 25 weeks.
Although I get ridiculously excited to see an egg in the nesting box I love them all either way!

I think that we are all going to get eggs any day! Just, maybe not today. All of our chickens look to be at the same stage in development. I'm so happy that someone got an egg, it gives me hope. Mine were born in the middle of April, and I'm beginning to think that they are all going to turn into spinsters:)

Last edited:
I'm going to join the club of "The Patiently Waiting". We have 18 pullets ranging from 5 to 6 months old and still not even one egg! Our girls free range, they spend most of the day in the woods. Perhaps I should confine them to the coop and run for a few days to make sure they are not laying in the woods. So their comb will get a bright red before they start laying? I didn't know that. Good luck everyone! I hope we can all share some good news soon!

This is a funny thread. I was a nervous wreck like you all awaiting an egg. Would go brush whacking twice a day looking for a clutch as the girls were digging holes in the bushes. But when it finally happened it was in the nesting box for three of my 7 girls so far.

The Black Star and BR were at just under 23 weeks. Both were squating for over a week. The oldest RIR came through yesterday so under 24 weeks and she does'nt squat, make noise or have large comb or waddle. One of the leghorns (somewhere between 5 and 6 mo.) is making noise and the wee RIR and Red Star are only pushing 20 weeks old. Hoping all the hormones in the air will jump start em early.

Without added light, less than 12 hours daylight now:

Barred Rock- 4 eggs for 6 days
Black Star- 7 for 8
RIR- 1 for 2 but it's not even 9 am here.

Impatiently waiting...
pop.gif

I have 12 light brahma's that are 22 wks. Any ideas on when to expect an egg? I have never seen any of my hens in the nesting boxes. Should I be doing anything to encourage them?

Back
Top Bottom