egg wash solution?

ninjapoodles

Sees What You Did There
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Central Arkansas
Those of you who sell (or even give away) your eggs, and wash them first...what do you use? I know there are special "egg wash" solutions, both chlorine and enzyme based, but are they necessary (by which I mean, would plain soap and water suffice)? Our state regulations for selling "farm fresh" eggs just stipulate that the eggs be "washed," with no further guidelines.

Last edited:
I dont sell eggs, but I would suggest using a vinegar & water solution, same as for cleaning around the house, because vinegar kills a lot of stuff due to its acidic nature. I have heard that eggs should be wiped with a cleaning solution rather than immersed in anything, because the latter method could actually force contaminants through the (porous) shell.

This is what the University of Nebraska Extension says: "It is recommended to use a nonfoaming, unscented detergent with which to wash the eggs. Eggs can absorb fragrance from a scented detergent, resulting in an off flavor. Unscented automatic dishwater or laundry detergent can be used."

It's been years since I've sold eggs. I've just given them away in recent years. I only wash soiled eggs and sometimes feel compelled to cook them immediately if they've required much scrubbing.

Hope this helps.

Steve

digitS' :

This is what the University of Nebraska Extension says: "It is recommended to use a nonfoaming, unscented detergent with which to wash the eggs. Eggs can absorb fragrance from a scented detergent, resulting in an off flavor. Unscented automatic dishwater or laundry detergent can be used."

It's been years since I've sold eggs. I've just given them away in recent years. I only wash soiled eggs and sometimes feel compelled to cook them immediately if they've required much scrubbing.

Hope this helps.

Steve

So I'm reading these responses, and I'm thinking, "Charlie's Soap." It's perfect, seemingly. Non-toxic, biodegradable, non-foaming, detergent-free, unscented.​

Back
Top Bottom