egg wash solution?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ninjapoodles, Sep 22, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Those of you who sell (or even give away) your eggs, and wash them first...what do you use? I know there are special "egg wash" solutions, both chlorine and enzyme based, but are they necessary (by which I mean, would plain soap and water suffice)? Our state regulations for selling "farm fresh" eggs just stipulate that the eggs be "washed," with no further guidelines.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  2. foxcrossing26

foxcrossing26 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2008
    I dont sell eggs, but I would suggest using a vinegar & water solution, same as for cleaning around the house, because vinegar kills a lot of stuff due to its acidic nature. I have heard that eggs should be wiped with a cleaning solution rather than immersed in anything, because the latter method could actually force contaminants through the (porous) shell.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    NP you may want to check with your county ext agent or state dept of ag. They may have some ideas for you.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    This is what the University of Nebraska Extension says: "It is recommended to use a nonfoaming, unscented detergent with which to wash the eggs. Eggs can absorb fragrance from a scented detergent, resulting in an off flavor. Unscented automatic dishwater or laundry detergent can be used."

It's been years since I've sold eggs. I've just given them away in recent years. I only wash soiled eggs and sometimes feel compelled to cook them immediately if they've required much scrubbing.

Hope this helps.

Steve

5. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    digitS' :

This is what the University of Nebraska Extension says: "It is recommended to use a nonfoaming, unscented detergent with which to wash the eggs. Eggs can absorb fragrance from a scented detergent, resulting in an off flavor. Unscented automatic dishwater or laundry detergent can be used."

It's been years since I've sold eggs. I've just given them away in recent years. I only wash soiled eggs and sometimes feel compelled to cook them immediately if they've required much scrubbing.

Hope this helps.

Steve

So I'm reading these responses, and I'm thinking, "Charlie's Soap." It's perfect, seemingly. Non-toxic, biodegradable, non-foaming, detergent-free, unscented.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by