egg washing?

In the old days they used a very fine bit of sandpaper just on the dirty areas.

If you wash an egg it washes off the "bloom", which is a coating that protects the contents from bacteria.

I rinsed the nasty off two eggs. I think the hen aimed poop at one.
roll.png
I'm waiting to get two more eggs so I can fry them up. Are the eggs still good since I rinsed them off? They're in the fridge.

When I find an egg with still-fresh poo on it, I just wipe it off in the wood shavings. If I find it dried on, I use a slightly-moistened paper towel.
Sure, your eggs will be fine to use.

Last edited:
I read this here at byc, and have been doing it ever since. After collecting the eggs, I wash my hands and dry them with one paper towel. I then use that damp paper towel to wipe the eggs of any dirt before putting them in the fridge.

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the help! I'll have enough eggs in a day or so to have a breakfast plate of scrambled eggs! I can't wait but then I kinda feel guilty too.

I felt weird eating the eggs for the first couple of weeks. I could only hold them in my hands and marvel at them! Everyone thought I was crazy. But after a while, the novelty wore off and now I eat them every day.

lol.png

Re washing them...I've read in enough reference books that if you absolutely need to wash some poop off them to use warm (not cold) water and a soft cloth. If you end up washing most or all of the egg shell, the bloom will be gone and so will the natural bacterial protectant on the shell. To replace it, use a small dab of coconut oil to replace the bloom and place in the fridge immediately.

Back
Top Bottom