Egg With a Suspicious Spot

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cluckinalong, Oct 11, 2009.

1. cluckinalong

cluckinalong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    I'm not new to chickens but am a returning chicken'er after a 25 year absence.
    I have one old red hen (red sex link) and 6 supposed pullets from this year; March.
    Of that group, Three Buff's, one golden sex link, a red sometingorother, and one Americana.
    I am getting 4 to 6 eggs a day. Keep that thought. Six eggs tops.
    I was cracking 3 for a cake this morning and low and behold, there's a spot that just might be from a masculine source. Also, I just made cornbread and there was a white spot on that yolk, too.
    None of these chickens run loose. None of them are sprouting flowing tail feathers and none of them are crowing.
    Without a doubt the Americana is a little girl. I have the blue/green eggs to prove it.
    Is it possible that these white circles are where the yolk was released from the ovary?

2. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    The spot is where the sperm would enter the egg if it had been fertilized by a roo.

Perfectly normal all eggs have one, its called the germ spot.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. If the egg were fertilized the spot would be surrounded by a ring, making it look like a bullseye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by