Egg with blood on it; Hens 1st lay

buckyphifer

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Northwest Tennessee
I have a bantam cochin that has just started laying. She is roughly 6-7 months old. I didn't even know she was laying yet til I found her in the nest the other day. It was obvious what she was trying to do as you could see her pushing. She looked to be having problems and the roo kept coming in to check on her. He is such a gentleman! After a while she finally did lay and the egg had some blood on it. I checked her vent and it was red and puffy on the edges with some white poo. Is this typical when a hen first begins to lay or do I really need to keep an eye on her? She is on crumbles and free ranges during the day. Thanks for any help
smile.png

It's normal. My Polish girls both had blood on their first eggs. It didn't happen again after that first one. One of my buff orps laid a monster egg a few weeks after she began laying and that one had a little blood on it as well.
smile.png

My girls are pretty mature layers, but once in a while, I'll get a bigger egg with some blood on it. I think if she's new to laying, things are still getting used to accomodating that egg every day, and a little blood is ok.

It wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on her, but I think a little blood is normal for newer layers.

Good luck-
Em

* Mine had minute amounts of blood and some irregular diarrhea with her first 3 eggs. Then she seemed to settle in to a routine. One egg every other day, eating very little the morning of the lay and a WHOLE LOT of "Walking & Squawking" on the morning of. When she's dropped the egg I feed her immediately-- usually just in time for lunch anyway. . . .

There is the rare chance that you can get a vent blow-out with a really big egg, but you will see alarming amounts of blood then. Just a bit isn't a worry, and it should stop soon.

blood on the eggs of 1st time layers is normal.it just means their body is adjusting to making an laying eggs.itll take them awhile to get adjusted.

Hi,
I have a hen that did the same thing the other day. blood on her egg. I threw the egg out. I was wondering if you can wash it and eat it ?
It seemed kinda gross. What do you all think?
thanks
C J

Back
Top Bottom