1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg with crack

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dotter, May 5, 2011.

1. dotter

dotter Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Cherry Valley,CA
    Putting eggs in the incubator I noticed one egg has a small 1/2 inch crack. The crack does not seem to go all the way through the shell and the membrane is intact. Should I leave it alone or put something on, like wax, glue, nailpolish ?
    Thanks

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think some candle wax would seal that just perfectly. A friend of mine did that.....(Her incubator smelled just like the apple pie candle....[​IMG]) Hmmmm, maybe you're supposed to use unscented wax?

3. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I had a couple cracked eggs in my shipment and I just put some unscented candle wax on them. Not sure if they're developing but I figure it's always worth a try!

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    White crayons work great for this, heat the tip and apply over the crack. My last hatch had 3 cracked shipped eggs, all three hatched just fine. Good luck.

5. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    I have painted school glue, which takes a while because of the multiple layers that need to be applied. This worked with on that has a crack from one side all the way to the top and down the other. It developed normally. I have also put scotch tape on eggs that have accidently cracked while putting into lockdown (sometimes they have gotten stuck to turner). All of these methods have worked.

6. dotter

dotter Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Cherry Valley,CA
    Thanks for the help, I used wax and now I'm crossing my fingers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by