egg with no shell???

MoniqueGerald

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Greenwell Springs, La
One day this week, I went to the chicken coop to gather all of my eggs. I found one that did not have a shell??? It was the feel of jelly-fish (kind of). I have never had this happen before. What causes this, and is this serious? Will this keep happening?

it happens occasionally - used to scare me when I was a kid and went to get the eggs.
i don't know why, but am sure that someone will be able to fill you in.

I call those "practice eggs". It usually happens when your chickens are new layers. Sometimes it does happen later.....I have a hen that is broody and she layed a shell less egg not long ago.

It's a good idea to provide some crushed oyster shell (farm stores sell this), in a dish somewhere in their coop so that they can have it when they want it. Then you'll have strong egg shells. Also be sure to feed your pullets layer mix when they're 20 weeks of age.

And don't worry, you may get a few more of those strange eggs....you might have a wrinkly egg, or a bumpy egg, or a teeny-tiny egg.....ya never know.

Sharon
smile.png

I got one that looked like this one time.
20124_sany0489.jpg

It was from a recently purchased hen. The person I purchased the hen from said she had never had that problem before. I gave her some extra oyster shell and then her eggs were normal. So you might try giving your hen some.

Yep, I got one of those last night. After they went to the roost for the evening, one of the hens ran back to the nest and quickly laid a membrane-only covered egg. I grabbed it before they could all eat it. And they would have, too... the way it jiggled.
smile.png

Anyway, it happens this hen whenever she starts laying too many warty-shelled eggs in a row. I think her shell gland needs a rest-and-recovery period. Once she resumes, the shells will be fine. For a while. The other hens don't do this.

Our hens have been laying about 9 months now with no problems what-so-ever.
Last week we found an egg, very thin shelled, under the roost. Never happened before.
Picked it up and it broke-it was so thin.
sad.png

Hasn't happened again and usually our eggs are almost too thick shelled. It was an anomaly and hopefully will NOT happen again?

But ya just never know what's going on with the internal "plumbing" of these girls, even tho they get the same food and greens every day!

I have a white leghorn. she is 11 months old. she has layed a few of these rubber eggs. Then she will lay a couple of double yokers. Just keep oyster shell out for them . I wouldn't worry too much. she should get back to normal

Back
Top Bottom