Egg with no shell

brandiexanadu

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 30, 2014
We had a turkey lay an egg that was odd. It was not hard at all and appeared to only have a membrane. The turkeys are about 8 months old and have layed several "normal" eggs from both of them. The normal eggs they are all currently taking turns sitting on (Tom included). This egg was also layed in a totally different area than all the others. Any ideas why this happened?

We had a turkey lay an egg that was odd. It was not hard at all and appeared to only have a membrane. The turkeys are about 8 months old and have layed several "normal" eggs from both of them. The normal eggs they are all currently taking turns sitting on (Tom included). This egg was also layed in a totally different area than all the others. Any ideas why this happened?
Emm... i dont knonw why it happned!!! <Maybe protein...but there are other things...other members might now and be able to help you!!!

It is something that happens in new layers. I call them fart eggs. I had one yesterday. Laying in the poop board. You usually don't get a chance to see them because they break so easy and the hens will eat them up.

That's exactly where it was. I will have to tell my husband. He will get a kick out of the name. Lol

Fart eggs are usually very tiny, hard shelled but often have no yolks.

A softshelled egg, with just membrane and no shell, is not uncommon in newly laying chickens and I assume also turkeys. The are often laid in odd places because they feel different and often take the birds by surprise when they emerge....birds can often act very strangely (isolating, inactive, standing stock still for quite some time) when one is passing down the 'pipe'. After it's out, they go back to their regular routines.

It's because the shell gland is not fully functioning yet, a glitch so to speak...one once in a while or several in the first month or so is nothing to be alarmed about.

Might want to post in the turkey forum in case there's something different in regards to softshells in turkeys...cause I don't know jack about turkeys.

Fart eggs are usually very tiny, hard shelled but often have no yolks.

A softshelled egg, with just membrane and no shell, is not uncommon in newly laying chickens and I assume also turkeys. The are often laid in odd places because they feel different and often take the birds by surprise when they emerge....birds can often act very strangely (isolating, inactive, standing stock still for quite some time) when one is passing down the 'pipe'. After it's out, they go back to their regular routines.

It's because the shell gland is not fully functioning yet, a glitch so to speak...one once in a while or several in the first month or so is nothing to be alarmed about.

Might want to post in the turkey forum in case there's something different in regards to softshells in turkeys...cause I don't know jack about turkeys.
thumbsup.gif

I kind of look at it like humans. Miscarriages, congenital anomalies etc. I've seen very strangely shaped eggs, soft shelled eggs, eggs with no shell. Not an expert but unless your birds are malnourished I would simply look at it as the law/rule of nature. "Birth" defects occur all the time with no rhyme or reason. It has to be natural/normal in our feathered friends as well. Keep them happy and healthy and you'll get the yummiest eggs 99.9% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom