Egg without a shell?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ggardner55, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Ggardner55

Ggardner55 In the Brooder

Jan 25, 2019
    I know it sounds weird (or at least it does to me). My 26 week old Easter Egger has started laying some of her "eggs" by the air conditioner. I don't know if it is because it is a cooler place with the water condensing on the concrete slab, but anyway, these "eggs seem to be covered by only a membrane and not an actual egg. They then get stepped on and squished. It is not done on consistent days, but the rest of the time, she lays her eggs in the nesting box with the other hens. Anyway idea what is going on?

penny1960 likes this.
  2. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Crossing the Road Barefoot

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    Either she can't wait and someone else is in the nest or she'd rather lay her egg there for one reason or another.

If she's a newbie rubber eggs can be normal as they work out all the kinks. Do you provide oyster shell for your flock to have as needed?

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    That's common with pullets.

4. Hcchic

Hcchic Chirping

Jun 21, 2019
    GA
    Hi everyone i think im having sort of same issue, but with a 19 week cross something rock i cant remember. She is huge! But she just started these small pink looking eggs that u cant even pick up the squish!
    But oyster shells?

Ggardner55 and penny1960 like this.
  5. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language

Nov 26, 2018
    AL
    My Coop
    This is common with pullets.

That means they just don't have enough calcium in their diet to produce the shell... Since the shell is made out of calcium. In other words, low/no calcium = no shell. You can decrease the chances of the shell less egg by putting oyster shells, even their own egg shells in their food. This will decrease chances of it happening again. :) hope I helped.

Ggardner55 and Hcchic like this.
  6. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Crossing the Road Barefoot

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    Most people just offer the oyster shell on the side. If you're feeding a layer ration just put a dish of OS out and they'll have at it as needed. I dump the bag and replenish when necessary and don't give my flock layer feed and have no problems after their bodies figure it all out.

Rubber eggs are very common with new layers.

Ggardner55 likes this.
  7. Ggardner55

Ggardner55 In the Brooder

Jan 25, 2019
    Thank you all for your input. I'll stop by the feed store after work and pick up some oyster shell.

igorsMistress likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: