Egg without bloom?

Skugley

Hatching
May 2, 2022
I added four hens to my backyard coop. I am not sure of their breed. The farmer said they were a hybrid and they are docile. They are about 1 year. We are offering organic layer feed. We were told they may not lay for a few days due to stress, however we have gotten a few eggs. The eggs appear dusky and are not smooth or like any of they eggs our other hens provided. I am wondering if they do not have a bloom. One had a rough or wrinkled shell - I think I saw that could be due to stress and is safe to eat. Since the bloom protects the egg from bacteria entering, is an egg without a bloom safe to eat? In my picture I provide a picture of 4 eggs. The top left is my existing hen’s egg with what I think is a “normal” bloom. The one on the top right seems to have a bloom has ridges. The bottom two are dusky, almost chalky and have some pinkish non - uniform color.

Attachments

• 3C7F7B54-7EC4-4452-A1EA-9D108D2F3875.jpeg
    3C7F7B54-7EC4-4452-A1EA-9D108D2F3875.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 94
They could still be laying unusual eggs due to stress and getting used to their surroundings.
Common egg quality problems

Common egg quality problems

Approximately 2% of all chicken eggs have some defect, ranging from minor, barely noticeable faults to downright alarming deformities. So the chances are pretty good that most, if not all flock owners will at some stage find an irregular egg. This article is about the most common egg...

Totally agreed with aart. You cannot see the bloom unless you see the egg right after it's been laid and I mean just right after coming out of the egg duct and it dries fast. What you see in your hens' eggs are differences in the shell. They might get normal with time.

I also have a hen that occasionally lays chalky type eggs and I also think it is missing the bloom. The eggs when laid like that are not nice as a boiled egg but are fine scrambled or in a quiche. I did do the check to see if the egg floats or sinks, they all sank so I went ahead and ate them but they have an unpleasant taste when eaten as a boiled egg on its own. It’s winter and maybe she is due a moult she is also a hybrid

Back
Top Bottom