Egg Yolk Peritonitis -- 20 month old Rhode Island Red.

Rosie still active in the Run today. Out and about with her GF's and Roger, The Big Tootsie.  They've tore apart a bale of straw I think in an effort to find hidden grains to satiate their "Crack" scratch desire.  Industrious little buggers.  Love it.

I think her comb looks a little redder today.  Another good sign we're getting a handle on the infection I'm assuming.  Despite the mass in her abdomen.
How funny, lol, they are smart. Good sign too her being out and about, enjoying and I am sure having fun finding the treats that they feel so deprived from. Mean momma, lol.

Last edited:
Baytril arrived today.

Let me just talk a little about these antibiotics a bit. As there is all sorts of antibiotic names flying around here on my thread as I gather my thoughts on planning to treat Rosie. This is just to benefit those that are frantic looking for cures and not knowing what to try....etc. There is controversy in using these meds in our chickens if they are considered a food source that is. Rosie will not be eaten as she is considered a pet right now and is loaded up with Penicillin from my cabinet. Plus she'd be tougher than jerkey given she's two years old and an athlete of sorts free ranging her whole life. I understand the responsibility that comes with using such meds. The reason I have such PCN still in my cabinet is from a strep throat infection which did not respond to Penicillin and my physician then switched to a z-pack. It scares me that PCN doesn't work on Strep for me anymore.

So you are wondering why I'm giving my details. Well, another reason of concern: I don't want to sound irresponsible about the ill use of antibiotics as this situation can create super bugs. And I don't want that. It's no good for Rosie or those other birds living in her environment for that matter. If I get a bug that is resistant to any of those antibiotics...it's not a good situation to be in. So even though my Baytril is NOW in ....I'm going to keep on the course of Penicillin, which Rose is responding quite well to and fight off this infection of hers for a good 7-10 days of treatment. We'll then give her a good break. And if and when her symptoms return...depending on severity I will try the Baytril. So for those reading this thread and getting antibiotics on the ready...practice this with care, consistency and thoroughness. It really goes beyond just your bird to be honest.
old.gif

There...did that sound too preachy? I hope everybody understands.
big_smile.png

So Rose was up for Day 4 of Penicillin and Aspirin. She's not as puffed up (feather wise). So maybe her pain is less? She pooped a normal looking poop up here tonight too. A couple of them. And then a normal colored watery one...although smaller. I'm going to discontinue the aspirin part of her regimen tomorrow and just keep on with the antibiotic for this course. See how it goes. If I see her puffed up with feathers...I'll probably resume the aspirin again.

As a side note: Also started some initial searches on Milk Thistle for Liver Health. Lots of information for birds regarding this supplement. I think pwand when you were helping me with my no egg situation.--cute and fun as we've been--..you may have hit on a deeper issue which I have unconsciously found myself in. I do wonder about Fatty Liver with some of my birds.from over-graining. I'm resolved to try this Milk Thistle for my whole flock along with diet adjustments and see if I can reverse some suspected damage and get eggs rolling again as the days get longer now. What do you think?

I understand how you feel, sorry.
Nobody could save theirs from this illness beside having an operation to remove their Fallopian tube at least.

5.JPG

6.JPG

The operation is above.

The vet said that they CAN't live for one year without the operation.
It will reoccur by just draining fluids.

I read somewhere someone used Milk Thistle to worm ( Red mange in the dog's inside ) in here, which was for her dog though, it worked.
It sounds good. I may try it too. :) Thank you for the info.

Last edited:
Baytril arrived today.

Let me just talk a little about these antibiotics a bit.  As there is all sorts of antibiotic names flying  around here on my thread as I gather my thoughts on planning to treat Rosie. This is just to benefit those that are frantic looking for cures and not knowing what to try....etc.   There is controversy in using these meds in our chickens if they are considered a food source that is.  Rosie will not be eaten as she is considered a pet right now and is loaded up with Penicillin from my cabinet.  Plus she'd be tougher than jerkey given she's two years old and an athlete of sorts free ranging her whole life. I  understand the responsibility that comes with using such meds.  The reason I have such PCN still in my cabinet is from a strep throat infection which did not respond to Penicillin and my physician then switched to a z-pack. It scares me that PCN doesn't work on Strep for me anymore.

So you are wondering why I'm giving my details.  Well, another reason of concern:  I don't want to sound irresponsible about the ill use of antibiotics as this situation can create super bugs.  And I don't want that.  It's no good for Rosie or those other birds living in her environment for that matter.  If I get a bug that is resistant to any of those antibiotics...it's not a good situation to be in.  So even though my Baytril is NOW in ....I'm going to keep on the course of Penicillin, which Rose is responding quite well to and fight off this infection of hers for a good 7-10 days of treatment.  We'll then give her a good break.  And if and when her symptoms return...depending on severity I will try the Baytril.  So for those reading this thread and getting antibiotics on the ready...practice this with care, consistency and thoroughness.  It really goes beyond just your bird to be honest.  :old

There...did that sound too preachy?  I hope everybody understands. :D

So Rose was up for Day 4 of Penicillin and Aspirin.  She's not as puffed up (feather wise).  So maybe her pain is less?  She pooped a normal looking poop up here tonight too.  A couple of them.  And then a normal colored watery one...although smaller.  I'm going to discontinue the aspirin part of her regimen tomorrow and just keep on with the antibiotic for this course.  See how it goes. If I see her puffed up with feathers...I'll probably resume the aspirin again.

As a side note:  Also started some initial searches on Milk Thistle for Liver Health.  Lots of information for birds regarding this supplement.  I think pwand when you were helping me with my no egg situation.--cute and fun as we've been--..you may have hit on a deeper issue which I have unconsciously found myself  in. I do wonder about Fatty Liver with some of my birds.from over-graining.  I'm resolved to try this Milk Thistle for my whole flock along with diet adjustments and see if I can reverse some suspected damage and get eggs rolling again as the days get longer now.  What do you think?
That is a good point about fatty liver, the other thing to that seems related is the fat around the belly to internal lay. It seems this can affect them.

You can sure tell how a bird is feeling by what the poop looks like. I am so glad to hear her poop is looking more normal.

DAy 7 of PCN delivered today. Rose is doing well. Normal droppings. Doing chicken things. I think she is probably slower than usual--maybe it's cautiousness too. As the Rooster usually keeps her towing the line anyways. So it could just be that. I've decided to do this PCN for 10 days. Another 3 days wont hurt. Mass seems less almost... She's very spunky trying to get her antibiotic laced apple sauce in her. I had a bit of the powder on my hands and touched my lip with it and later licked--it's kind of bitter. No wonder she's fighting us. I'm sure the apple sauce can only do so much...LOL. Anyways...at the moment Rose is doing well. I'm sure I've given her some time. But not sure how much....

Last few days did some merrick's blue ribbon in the water (electrolytes and probiotics) This is good for everybody. Will do it again when we're done with the last dose as well.

Thank you for your prayers Choptank. Pwand, when I palpate her abodomen...I guess I haven't tried to wiggle it. It seems large within her abdomen....smaller than a baseball. Larger than a golf ball. IDK....There doesn't seem to be any ascites with it...my guess is that it's held in place with mesentery maybe...IDK. I'll check to see if it's mobile next time she's up. She is doing everything she once did still.

I also got to a larger town and picked up Milk Thistle. I think I will supplement her this as well. When she had her bright green poops I wonder if her liver was in a bad state. It can't hurt....?

Thank you for your prayers Choptank. Pwand, when I palpate her abodomen...I guess I haven't tried to wiggle it.  It seems large within her abdomen....smaller than a baseball.  Larger than a golf ball.  IDK....There doesn't seem to be any ascites with it...my guess is that it's held in place with mesentery maybe...IDK.  I'll check to see if it's mobile next time she's up.  She is doing everything she once did still.

I also got to a larger town and picked up Milk Thistle.  I think I will supplement her this as well.  When she had her bright green poops I wonder if her liver was in a bad state.  It can't hurt....?
Green poop I believe means they are starving, not getting nourishment's. I am also thinking infection. I could be wrong. Anything is worth a try. If her liver was failing I would think her comb and wattles would be pail to a yellow look. Do you think she has liver issue? Hopefully its not ascites. That is fairly big what your describing. Any chance she may have a double yolkier stuck in there that is shelless? Did you see the post Kathy posted of a necropsy one of her hens died from a soft stuck egg that was in there for months.

Back
Top Bottom