egg yolk peritonitis?

That's the antibiotics we gave our rooster. (leg injury right to the bone that was infected right off the bat- angry swollen, stinky, hot.) He wouldn't drink at all.. wasn't really interested in eating. Had to resort to grapes- cut them open and put a little of the antibiotic inside. He devoured them.

Thought I'd mention that just in case you have trouble getting them to drink medicated water.

Just had to put done our 4yr old R. Island Red that appears to be suffering from Egg Yolk Peritonitis.

Wondering if it safe to eat a chicken that had EYP?

We also had a difficult time getting her to take the medication and food or water - we used the seeds and jelly from the insides of tomatoes (they love this stuff) as well as grapes and watermelon mixed with some water and the antibiotics. She is still doing well :)

Not sure if the meat is safe or not - good question... I have read to not eat a chicken that has been on antibiotics in the last 7 (i think) days.

Exactly the symptoms of my 11 month old Salmon Faverolle. So glad you posted. I have done everything I can think to do to save her. I have been tube feeding her but she is not pooping much. Her butt is messy, she looks sick and acts sick. She is in the house in last Fall, just not thriving.

Have a cochin frizzle with egg yolk peritnonits,have been giving her the duramycin-10 but she is not drinking very much and not eating.Just brought her in and bathed her to get some the egg off her vent area.Clean the inside of her vent with white vinegar and water.Dryed with with hair dyer and she is sitting in the sun,she did eat some homemade oatmeal bread.I put yogurt with a little chick feed in it and she ate a tiny bit.Will put her back out in the coop in the sick cage with her heat lamp soon.She is really enjoing the sunshine.Hope she makes it.She is just a year old.

I had to mix the medicine (a small amount) with tomato seeds and all the tomato 'juice' with it - she also liked watermelon which can be pulped and the medicine hidden in it.

Last edited:
also gave my girl a fraction of aspirin tablet ground up to reduce swellling and comfort her. She seemed hot and swollen - careful she doesn't get too hot, especially if she's not drinking much fluid.

Back
Top Bottom