Eggbound...Need help!

spudchild

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
Nashville
I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum first, so forgive the duplicate posting.

I lost a hen last night who was eggbound, and now her Sister, Lily is having exactly the same problem. Marigold's egg was just too big for her to pass.

Lily is still active right now, but she is struggling with the egg, and I would be so devastated to lose 2 right in a row like this.

Here's what we have done: We soaked Lily in warm water in the sink for about 20 minutes, put preparation H on and in her vent area. She is back in the coop right now, but we plan on bringing her into the bathroom, and keeping her there.

What else can we do? She's a BBR OEGB, and this is her first egg.

I am not sure prep H is such a good idea unless there is also a prolapse you're trying to get back inside? Keep her warm and comfortable, in a quiet area, and make sure she has adequate calcium (feed yogurt or a crushed Tums now, and make sure crushed oystershell or dried crushed eggshell are available freechoice). Beyond that, and periodic warm soaks with gentle massage if she'll allow it, there is probably not much you can do besides cross fingers.

Good luck,

Pat

No, I just put the prep H on as a lubricant. I thought it might keep inflamation down, and lubricate the egg. I don't have mineral oil...would something like olive oil work..or is KY better?

Update - Lily is still having a hard time, and I need help if anyone has any suggestion. She is really struggling.

I just gave her another warm bath, and then swaddled her in a towel. I was able to get her to eat some yogurt off of my finger. I put KY on her vent, and she is in the bathroom. It is really warm in there, and now I'm just waiting.

Any ideas of anything else I can do?

Thanks for the link. I just checked on her again, and I realize that this egg is not calcified. I was putting some lubricant on her vent, and felt it, and it is kind of mushy....is that what is causing the problem? The article you sent me doesn't really talk about that. Should I go to WalGreens and get a syringe and drain the egg?

my dad had a hen like tha and he took an suringe with a needle and put in to the egg pulling out some of the yoke srinking the egg and the hen pasted it and it still laying today

Hi,
I have a hen that continually has the same problem. I've found that gloving up and getting the lube(i use vasoline) inside helps her. She does lay a calcified egg, so your situation may call for something else.
Hope she's doing OK.
Terry

Ok..well, we went to WalGreens, and got a syringe. Nothing like explaining to the the pharmacist, that you are not a drug user, it is for a sick chicken. That's one I never expected to have to do.

I held Lily and DH, managed to puncture the membrane of the egg and extract the contents. Lily already seems a bit better--like she is not in pain anymore. She ate some more yogurt, and now we are just waiting again. I really hope she can get the egg membrane out. She is going to stay inside tonight, and probably all day tomorrow.

I'll update if anything happens. Hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom