Egglaying!

How many chicks do you have ? maybe do like we did , we have 2 separate coops and runs .

I have my buff orpingtons in one coop and run and the larger coop and run has rhode island reds, barred rocks and black austolorps ...

Maybe either divide the run where the smaller chicks can be separate from the larger birds and once they get larger , then you can add together .

Only trying to suggest what might work .

They will need a high calcium diet now that they are producing eggshells every single day . . . without any time off for good behavior
wink.png

You can provide that calcium by offering oyster shells. Chickens are apparently good at self-regulating when it comes to eating them. The grower/finisher will probably be fine for the layers as long as they have this source of calcium.

Steve
frow.gif
congratulations on your new source for eggs
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
I know there are folks who would pay big money to see me do this on a particularly cantankerous Jersey Giant... might make enough in ticket and video sales for the incubator I have my eye on!

The Q tip method works like this. Take a Q-tip and put the food coloring on it. Wipe it right on top of the vent area and when they lay and egg the coloring will come off on the egg
big_smile.png
It has worked for me every time. I learned it here also.

And about the feed question. I would not put the 10 week olds on layer feed yet. Not sure how to work that out but maybe just give the hens some layer food separate every day and leave the grower in there all the time? That's what I would do.

Quote:
Separate the different age groups if you have a problem with the older eating the youngs feed . thats why I have 2 coops and 3 runs . 3rd. run is for the younger to be separate until they are older to mix together .

Quote:
Put a certain food coloring around the vent. Tag the chicken so you know which one you put the food coloring on. If the chicken lays an egg, the color will come off onto the egg. You'll know who laid the egg.

Oo i understtand the Q-tip method now. About the feed I live in the suburban part of a city and i dont have a lot of room for another pen. Plus i would have to ask my dad to make me another pen and i believe he won't want too make, another coop or run. Am only in 9th grade so...

big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom