Eggless shell and clear liquid

Jwebb35

Chirping
Mar 30, 2022
Central IN
I'm sorry for asking so many questions! My barred rock, 19 months, laid her first egg quite unusually. She walked into the run (didn't even bother trying to go to the breeder box which she has been checking out for the past couple of days.. and popped out a shelless egg and then a little bit of clear watery secretion. She then just stood still for quite a few minutes 😳 I offered her oyster shells and water. After what seemed like such a long time, she took a few sips of water and is now laying under the coop.

The girls free range in our fenced in half acre and I shove cool water stations everywhere in this heat. Is she going to be okay?

signal-2022-07-01-19-00-59-701.jpg

My girl Edith who I mentioned above

Yes, she's going to be ok.
That is normal for a brand new layer.

You are feeding her a good balanced food correct?

Layer type feed would be a good balanced diet.

Remember that if you feed treats you need to keep them to a tiny amount....like no more than one spoonful per bird per day no matter what it is.

I didn't get a good picture of the egg, and I already threw it out. It looked like a brown rubber ball very rubbery. I feed them layer feed and they have access to oyster shells. They have water all over and most of the time they're eating grub and "yummy" things from the yard so they don't really eat a ton of the layer feed. I'm sure they will when winter hits. I made electrolyte water for her as well as access to cool freshwater. She's usually my energetic bird so to see her very chill is making me nervous!

Thank you everyone so much for helping me through this! I am brand new to chickens and I love my four girls more than I thought I ever would 😆♥️

Back
Top Bottom